Solved

Can any one explain this (7850)

http://imgur.com/z9URQ

If you can't tell buy the picture I will explain it .

First as you can see , the card is oced to 1050 and 1257

But during my playthrough of bf3 the clocks would stay normal

then you see two spikes where the core and memory clocks go up

But when you look at the gpu usage percentage it drops by alot

I was just hoping if anyone knew why this is happening . Also i do not notice any fps drop when this happens and I have used all major oc programs and tried diffrent drivers/reinstalling.

I lok foward to your input and thanks in advance.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about explain 7850
  1. If you were to monitor your CPU usage at the same time, you'll notice that all of your cores are going wild, this is in contrast to most PC games that are very GPU dependent, BF3 is actually more CPU dependent. Your graphics card will only stress itself as much as it needs to - as the demand on it grows, so do it's clocks, when demand on it drops (because the CPU is working the physics part) it'll get a little lazy (so to speak).
  2. C12Friedman said:
    If you were to monitor your CPU usage at the same time, you'll notice that all of your cores are going wild, this is in contrast to most PC games that are very GPU dependent, BF3 is actually more CPU dependent. Your graphics card will only stress itself as much as it needs to - as the demand on it grows, so do it's clocks, when demand on it drops (because the CPU is working the physics part) it'll get a little lazy (so to speak).

I'm pretty sure ,my i3 2120 never goes higher than 70%
  3. bf3 is not demanding enough to cause your card use the 3D performence frequency, your card usually runs at a lower speed when playing bf3 but in some demanding scenes it switch to the 3D performence mode and hence the high frequency(the one you OC to) the performence of the card improved and the usage went down
  4. Acennan said:
    bf3 is not demanding enough to cause your card use the 3D performence frequency, your card usually runs at a lower speed when playing bf3 but in some demanding scenes it switch to the 3D performence mode and hence the high frequency(the one you OC to) the performence of the card improved and the usage went down

Do you know how to make my card go into high peformance mode when i game?
  5. Best answer
    C12Friedman said:
    If you were to monitor your CPU usage at the same time, you'll notice that all of your cores are going wild, this is in contrast to most PC games that are very GPU dependent, BF3 is actually more CPU dependent. Your graphics card will only stress itself as much as it needs to - as the demand on it grows, so do it's clocks, when demand on it drops (because the CPU is working the physics part) it'll get a little lazy (so to speak).

This is somewhat true.

Acennan said:
    bf3 is not demanding enough to cause your card use the 3D performence frequency, your card usually runs at a lower speed when playing bf3 but in some demanding scenes it switch to the 3D performence mode and hence the high frequency(the one you OC to) the performence of the card improved and the usage went down

This is a load of crap.

OP: BF3 is very CPU demanding in multiplayer, but your GPU usage appears to be quite high so the bottleneck appears to be little to none.

BF3 is also easily in the top 5, maybe top 3, most demanding games out right now using in game settings, and your GPU is obviously stressed pretty hard, so it has nothing to do with that.

What specific model of card are you using, first of all?

Second, could you post your full system hardware specs?
  6. wolfram23 said:
    This is somewhat true.

This is a load of crap.

OP: BF3 is very CPU demanding in multiplayer, but your GPU usage appears to be quite high so the bottleneck appears to be little to none.

BF3 is also easily in the top 5, maybe top 3, most demanding games out right now using in game settings, and your GPU is obviously stressed pretty hard, so it has nothing to do with that.

What specific model of card are you using, first of all?

Second, could you post your full system hardware specs?

oh heres the gpu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161406

Specs
    i3 2120
    his 7850 '
    gigabyte z68 d3h b3
    corsair cx600 v2
    corsair 2x4

temps are usually around 55 with original clocks
  7. Ok, so MSI Afterburner should work properly. Have you tried just using Catalyst Control Center, Overdrive tab?
  8. wolfram23 said:
    Ok, so MSI Afterburner should work properly. Have you tried just using Catalyst Control Center, Overdrive tab?

yes nothing works
  9. Best answer selected by andY biersack.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Overclocking Product