Solved

Need Gaming Build for Under $700

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 12/xx/09

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Surfing web, word

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, hard drives, dvd drive - Will my current PSU be good enough?

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Cheapest as long as reliable/good service | COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel/Nvidia - willing to use AMD/Ati if better value

OVERCLOCKING: Never have but would like too. Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (Duel screening) 1=1920x1080; 2=1280x1024; then sometimes also a projector

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Been spending many days trying to decide what to build. I have read review over review and jump back and forth on everything. I still cannot make up my mind and now asking if anyone has any recommendations/changes to what I have put together so far or If anyone has built a gaming system recently on a $700 budget minus the case, psu, monitors, keyboard and mouse that they could post/redirect me to. Main goal of this system is to make it last as long as possible on this budget. If its better to spend a little more than the budget to get a lot more longevity out of this, please let me know. I am just looking for the best value for a gaming rig.

-----------------

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750 - Retail ($200)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215

MOBO: ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail ($150)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131404

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM - Retail ($91)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231275 (Was told I have to run a 64bit system to support all 4 gigs, is this true?)

VIDEO: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail ($179 w/ crap free game)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150447
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need gaming build
  1. Best answer
    Hmm $655 AR
  2. ^ Word!

Under $1000, it may make sense to go AMD. The batuchka will be a much faster gaming rig. Keyword: GPU. If you can fit the HD 5850 in your budget, do it.
  3. Agree. Batuchka's build is excellent, but I would switch the RAM for these: G.Skill Eco DDR3 1333mhz CAS Latency 7. They'll perform the same but use less power. And they'll save you a buck.
  4. Looks like a good build. I don't understand why AMD over intel? Seems most builds posted here are all for the i5. Is it a better value? Faster for cheaper? More longevity? Better for OC'ing? runs cooler? What is the reason behind this over the i5?
  5. If you could afford a 5850 and an i5 that would be better. For gaming its better to sacrifice some CPU and get the stronger graphics card.
  6. Not to mention everything you just said... AMD is a better "value" by being cheaper. The AM3 build should be more future proof. AMD has typically been better at overclocking.

However, it is mostly a price decision. i5 is the best gaming CPU around, but it's expensive, and GPUs matter more.
  7. well another thing I have been told about the i5 being better is that in the future, I can easily upgrade to the i7 since same socket without having to buy a new motherboard. I don't know AMD as well, do the newer AMDs use the same socket?
  8. Not really. The good i7s are on a different socket. The only thing coming for i5's socket is the i3, which most likely will be a downgrade.

All good AMD CPUs are using the AM3 socket. In addition, this is going to be AMD's only socket for several years. Unlike Intel who has a couple of supported sockets and tends to introduce a new socket for each new group of CPUs, AMD sticks with the socket that's out.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems Product