Sign in with
Your question

Elitegroup mobo with phenom 2?

Last response: in CPUs
February 22, 2010 8:41:48 PM

Hi everyone this is my first post here so go easy on me lol. I just bought a phenom 2 x4 955 cpu. my motherboard is an elitegroup mcp61pm-am. I need to know if this motherboard is compatible. I know it has an AM2 slot and I read that should work. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Motherboard: ELITEGROUP MCP61PM-AM
Slot: AM2
CPU (current): AMD 64 Dual
CPU (replacement): AMD Phenom II X4 955
GPU: EVGA GeForce 9800GT
PSU: 500w
RAM: 3G

More about : elitegroup mobo phenom

February 22, 2010 9:02:19 PM

Thought Id also mention the pc its self is a Gateway GT5654
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2010 5:55:11 AM

it doesn't look to be compatible.

its an am2 socket, not am2+, and doesn't seem to support processors of that high a TDP anyway.

really, you should have done this research before buying. hopefully you can still return the chip.
or better still, maybe im wrong. but looking at the mobo specs doesn't seem too great.
m
l
Related resources
February 23, 2010 6:24:41 AM

Phenom 2 processors need an AM2+ or an AM3 motherboard depending on which memory type you wish to use. An AM2 motherboard will not post a Phenom2 and if i remember correctly the phenom2 processors will not fit the socket.
m
l
February 23, 2010 6:48:03 AM

thanks guys. i know i really should have done better research. id rather not return it though. can you point me towards a cheap motherboard that would work with this along with my 9800gt and 3 gigs ram? thanks.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2010 6:49:22 AM

a gigabyte ga-ma790x-ud2 should do the job. a ud3p is also nice, but slightly more expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImag...

theres a quick link, its small but does what you need and only 90 dollars. being gigabyte its going to be good quality and last a long time.
m
l
February 23, 2010 6:50:17 AM

i looked on the elite group website and they have it listed under AM3?

thanks for the link. im mainly gonna use it for gaming. will that board effect the quality?
m
l
February 23, 2010 6:57:14 AM

yep thats my board. damn! lol im really considering that board you linked me to. think itll need a bios update?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2010 7:01:20 AM

shouldnt do, most gigabyte boards run AM3 at stock. mine did, tohugh ive since updated the BIOS.

luckily, bios flashing is also very easy in gigabyte boards. it keep a backup BIOS saves, so if the flash fails it can revert to the old BIOS. genius :) 

before you buy it, just do a double check the board supports processors of that TDP. ill do a double check myself. i believe it does, but better safe than sorry.

EDIT: can;t find anything explicitly stating support for 125w TDP processors, but the gigabyte does list support for 'the latest' Phenom II processors. so it shouldn't be a problem.

DOUBLE EDIT: yup, supports up to 140w TDP. will run the processor fine. a very small Mobo, but very capable. if you want to keep the processor, its a very good option.
m
l
February 23, 2010 7:04:25 AM

oh thats good news. whats tdp? sorry noob here.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2010 7:07:13 AM

jamesgtaiv said:
oh thats good news. whats tdp? sorry noob here.

ha, np. TDP stands for thermal design power. essentially the maximum number of watts (and therefore heat output) that the motherboard supports.
m
l
February 23, 2010 7:20:01 AM

oh ok cool. thanks man youve helped alot.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2010 8:26:06 AM

no problem :
m
l
!