rakeshb10

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
So I just put together a quick and dirty computer.

AMD Athlon x2 64 4200+
MSI K9N Neo
2GB DDR2 800mhz (no-name?)
Asus HD3450
Seagate 250gb SATA HD
WD 160GB ATA HD
Samsung DVD-ROM
ATX 500w PSU

I've been trying to install Tiny XP, Tiny Vista, Tiny 7, but I'm always getting errors.. Vista and 7 both say continuously say files cannot be copied, or setup cannot continue please restart... When I do get one of them to install.. I have a hell of a time installing any other applications..

Nero 9 - says file is corrupt, but installed fine on my laptop.
Office 2007 - says cannot find specified folder, but the folder is right there and installs fine on my laptop.

Many other apps come up with errors.

Originally I thought it was one of the hard drives, but it happens with both.

I'm thinkiing its either the Mobo or RAM.. any suggestion??

Memtest86 v4.00 says I have 53504 errors on my memory.. ????

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

You have multiple issues here. The first issue is that you're not using a legal version of your OS. Come back when you buy a legal OS or try something like linux. Second, you obviously have RAM issues. Properly functioning RAM will return NO errors when running Memtest86+. You should manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the recommended specs in the BIOS.

rakeshb10

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Sorry, I also tried the original version of Windows XP that came with my Dell PC that I parted into this PC... that didn't work so I resorted to using something else. I believe that part is legal.

rakeshb10

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
You do not have a legal version of windows.

Your "Dell" version of XP will work only on the original Dell computer it came with, otherwise it will detect the hardware change and will not work.

Bottom line is buy a operating system or use Linux.

Besides the fact that I can and will easily go out and buy Windows 7 Student Edition for $30..

What is my problem? Theres no area in my BIOS to set timings on my ram. I loaded "Optimal Settings" and within the first minute of running Memtest86+ I get 2000 errors.