Your question

Insight on new i7 gaming rig

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
December 14, 2009 8:08:39 AM

Hello,
I am planning on upgrading my CPU, MOBO, RAM, and GPU
I'm looking for a strictly gaming PC (little to no video work) and having excellent speed in most real world apps
I'm also def looking to overclock, maybe crossfire

My plan is to use my current Case and PS (thermaltake armour case / OCZ 700 Watt)

My initial plan: Socket 1156 build
Intel i7 860
Asus P7P55D
Corsair xms3 ddr3 1600 4gb (dual)
ATI XFX 5870

other scenario : Socket 1366 Build
Intel i7 920
Asus P6T
Corsair xms3 ddr 1600 6gb (Triple)
Same GPU as above (5870)

Price difference : roughly $200

I'm not worried about HD's at the moment cuz i have a few to get it running. Will most likely buy a Samsung spinpoint f3 whenever it is available on newegg
-------
I know most of the pro's/con's of each socket, just looking for some finalizing words.
As of now I am looking towards the 860 build.
Comments/Concerns would be much appreciated

More about : insight gaming rig

a b 4 Gaming
December 14, 2009 8:11:37 AM

^ If there is any probability that you might add another HD 5870 in the future, then go with the LGA 1366.
But if it is highly unlikely, then stick with the LGA 1156.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 14, 2009 8:15:10 AM

The 1366 is not worth $200 extra IMO.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
December 14, 2009 8:17:25 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I know this subject has been beaten to death
I guess i just need that type of reassurance when I'm spending this amount of money.
I like the keep my options open, so i guess that correlates more with the 920
Even though the way it looks the 5870 will be more than enough for a while..
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 14, 2009 8:26:05 AM

^ If you want to go with LGA 1366, you can save some money going with this board - ASRock X58 Extreme - A very good mobo with very good features at a good price(Actually would cost similar to the P55 mobos...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM -
OCZ Gold - It is a good set of RAMs, but you would have to set the rated timings in the BIOS(but not an issue though)...
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 14, 2009 1:51:19 PM

The 1366 build gets you 6gb instead of 4gb. I think the 6gb is the sweet spot for ram today for most people.
It might be helpful for gaming:
http://www.corsair.com/_appnotes/AN811_Gaming_Performan...

My sense is that the i7-920 D0 stepping might be a bit easier to OC also.
Some P55 motherboards may have socket retention issues. Research that and make certain that the motherboard that you pick is OK.

If you are near a microcenter, they have been having i7-920 specials that almost eliminate the price gap.

In the end, both paths are good, take your pick.
m
l
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
December 14, 2009 4:13:56 PM

I've noticed that the ASRock X58 Extreme was highly regarded around here.
I like the price of it especially, but I want to make sure its a quality/reliable board that will last me.
As some reviews I've read question its quality..

m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 15, 2009 2:05:52 AM

^ Frankly saying, ASRock's quality might not be upto the mark as compared to boards like the ASUS and Gigabyte...But for a regular user, I dont think it would be any major cause of concern because we might not be pushing the components to the limit...And also it is backed with a 3 year warranty...So I think you should be fine...
But if you want a better quality one, then check out the ASUS Rampage II Gene...It would cost about$210, but has very good features and is of high quality...
m
l
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
December 15, 2009 4:31:21 AM

isn't the ASUS Rampage II Gene a micro ATX?
I have a giant case, does micro atx matter with massive video cards or anything else.

and its sold out on newegg, that is where I'm trying to buy all my parts (makes it easier)

The only concern i have for ASrock, i dont want it crapping out on me after a month
where its not covered by warranty.

the way i see it now is it makes little difference if i choose the LGA 1366/ LGA 1156 build, by the time i want better performance I'll be opting to buy all new components.. My primary focus is just building something that tackles the upcoming (2010) games.
Crossfire would be nice but even if the price of the 5870 drops, I still don't know if I'd add another one. If i could get a realistic idea of how beneficial another 5870 would be maybe then I would realize the potential of x58/ i7 920 build. But if it will handle 1680 x 1050 (current LCD resolution) then i might as well save the money.
I probably should just stay focused on the now as opposed to the future, and just get my moneys worth.
Economy sucks eh? I am very indecisive too. back and forth.

Thanks you everyone for you input.

m
l
December 15, 2009 4:53:55 AM

Yes, the R2Gene is mATX. But that does not matter for the large video card, it's the size of the case that does.

At your resolution a 5850 should be more than enough.
m
l
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
December 15, 2009 9:40:49 PM

I noticed there was open box Asus p6t/ p6t SE available on newegg.
---
Asus p6t (open box) - $174.99
Asus p6t SE (open box) - $149.99

That seems to help squeeze the $ difference a bit closer.
Basically I revised my list into
i7 920 build i7 920 + Asus p6t (open box) + OCZ Gold 6gb = $615
VS.
i7 860 build i7 860 + Gigabyte p55a-ud4p + Corsair xms3 4gb = $560
--------------
Difference ~$55

even if i stick with my initial Asus p7p55d (for 860 build) its like ~$80 difference
This far it seems stupid not to go with the i7 920 =/
unless i just go the i5 750 route lol

m
l
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
December 16, 2009 5:00:43 AM

if i go with the ASUS rampage GENE
Will i able to reach 4 ghz OC with that mobo?
I'm actually probably just gunna settle with a 3.6 OC
Thanks for the link btw! looks good.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 16, 2009 5:07:50 AM

^ 4GHz - depends on RAM, HSF, case and room temps...
3.8GHz, with just a good HSF is easily gettable on that Gene...It actually overclocks better than the P6T(Not the skimpy SE version)...
m
l
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
December 16, 2009 5:25:14 AM

Case : Thermaltake armour (one with fan on the side window) seems pretty well ventilated to me.
HSF: possible xigmatek dark knight
RAM: as recommended above, OCZ gold 6gb
Temperature of the room: ranges, its warmer then the rest if the house if i leave my 2 pc's on.

m
l
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
December 16, 2009 5:26:48 AM

another concern of mine is since most aftermarket coolers are huge
it might come into contact with the fan on the side window on the thermaltake armour =/
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 16, 2009 12:49:38 PM

Quote:
Case : Thermaltake armour (one with fan on the side window) seems pretty well ventilated to me.
HSF: possible xigmatek dark knight
RAM: as recommended above, OCZ gold 6gb
Temperature of the room: ranges, its warmer then the rest if the house if i leave my 2 pc's on.

I am not a fan of side fans. I think they disrupt the natural flow of cooling air from low front to rear , high exhaust.

The best ventilated case I know of is the Antec 1200 :
It has three intakes, and two outputs, one of which is a larger 200mm top fan.

The 902 model is the same case, just not as tall with two front intakes(w/filters) and one less output fan. Still a good cooling case.
I use this, and a thermalright ultra 120 extreme cooler fits. The 902 has a place for a side fan, but I think it would impact the cooler. Reorienting the cooler to exhast upward would work. I don't think the 1200 would have the issue.

Both cases come with front fans and a knob to adjust the speed of the fans.
m
l
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
December 16, 2009 1:00:17 PM

I'll possibly upgrade my Case when i have the money. The thermaltake case and OCZ PSU is from my build 2-3 years ago. Being a college student puts me in a pretty shitty financial situation.
But none the less I'm a hardware freak, so I'll eventually get around to it.

Tomorrow I'm ordering the CPU/RAM from newegg, and the mobo from ewiz.com (from the link provided by gkay, thanks:)  )
I'll be waiting till after xmas most likely to buy the GPU since I only have the cash for cpu/mobo/ram or just gpu, so i figured get it running first. Then get the smoking gfx card.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 16, 2009 1:07:36 PM

As a student, look for windows 7 academic pricing.
m
l
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
December 16, 2009 1:53:20 PM

as for CPU heatsink/cooler
I'd like to hear some recommendations.
Xigmatek Dark Knight, Vigor Monsoon, scythe mugen 2?
As of now the xigmatek looks pretty nice

Im hoping i don't have to remove the fan (on the case window) in order to have a CPU cooler situated, but if i do whatever. that thing moves little air anyway.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 17, 2009 2:05:59 AM

^Check out the CM Hyper 212...The newer one has got so many good reviews and for that price, it is a very good option...
m
l
!