Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Low profile vga cooler for radeon 4650 in a low profile case

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 14, 2009 1:32:15 PM

Have you talked to Asus Technical support?
Score
December 14, 2009 1:41:16 PM

To be perfectly honest, there probably isn't a market for an upgraded low profile cooler. The card is relatively inexpensive and you will be hard pressed to find one. What is the real issue? is it heat?
Score
Related resources
December 14, 2009 6:16:20 PM

yeah it does seem like there isn't a market for low profile vga coolers after more searching...

heat is not TOO big of an issue (idles at 41C / load 60C; +5C with a mild overclock) but the fan noise is annoying as hell (anything above 25% produces a lovely whine).

i'm thinking about disassembling the fan... putting some arctic silver 5 on the GPU and (not so sure about this next bit - feedback welcome!) getting some teflon grease to maybe get the fan to quiet down

what do you guys think?
Score

Best solution

December 14, 2009 6:35:05 PM

Yeah, that is the issue with low pro video cards, you don't have much room to work with so they have to run the fan hard to cool the thing. Not much you can do about it now, but next time I advise against a low pro machine. They are a pain to work with unless you are using them for company use or just leaving them completely stock.
September 29, 2010 11:44:20 PM

I'm having the same problem, but worse, with the same card. Mine idles at about 70C and Ive caught it as high as 110C :fou:  when gaming in a 1280x768 window on my 24" display, even with the fan manually set to 100% of speed.

I've reseated the current fan/heatsink and used new thermal compound, to no avail. The fan sound is loud and warbles, making me think the bearings are shot.

Did you ever find a replacement fan/heat sink?
Score
September 30, 2010 2:32:25 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!