Third-Party WinMount-type software for WinXP, but portable

Harry Potter

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I have a WinXP computer at one place and a WinVista computer at another. I also go to a day program that only allows use of floppies and CDs. I use floppies otherwise, also. (I have a few older computers.) I'm working on my own technique but want a better method. I have WinMount and it's very useful. However, the technicians at the program don't want anything installed on the computers there, so I need a better, portable method. I'm asking this because I am working on software that sometimes require >2MB storage for source and temporary files and I also bring in some larger programs--mostly games--for the other clients to use. Is there a way I can compress the software and use it at program? Or do I have to create my own?

Follow this link http://db.tt/YsLpfjwg to create a dropbox account. once that is done you can specify a folder on your computer to sync files. You can sync files between computers, or you can download a file manually that you have already uploaded. it is a great way to sync data between computers, cell phones, tablets, etc. its also a convenient way to get software and data to computers without using floppy or cd drives.

wombat_tg

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

But it won't solve the OP's problem of not being allowed to install software or keep local copies at the day program.

OP, I'm not clear on if you are WORKING on a program (as in writing code) or USING the program that requires the >2MB storage. So I'm not clear on if you just need to transfer files between locations, or if you have need a way to transport the program you want to use as well.

Harry Potter

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I am both working on my own software and bringing in games and stuff for others' use. I could --and already prepared to--put the software in a zipped folder and decompress it to the desktop, use it from there and then recompress i back to its original location, but this would cost alot of time and inconvenience.

Harry Potter

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012

The problem is that I need to access the compressed archive as if it were a nomal folder or a drive. WinXP can do his but in a limited fashion: you can add, extract or open files in the archive but not run execuables from them well. Again, I don't want the inconvenience of decompressing, using then recompressing the information.