Looking to buy a video card.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
It is a somewhat competitive deal. 4890s start around $180-- so the rebate makes the XFX model the same as others.

Depending on how long you plan to keep this card it might be a good idea to anticipate the future and get a DX11 card. (the 5xxx series) You could get a 5770 (a little less powerful, but newer) for $165

A corsair 550w for $59 after MIR would run either of those just fine.

The next step up from a 4890 is the 58xx series starting at $300...and i assume you dont want to go there with the Athlon system.

helloooimtylerrr

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I want to play a game called Darkfall and do some video/graphic editing. I am currently running at 1600x900 resolution.

Also, I heard that most games aren't going to use the DX11 anytime soon...

How long ago did the GPU upgrade from DX9 to DX10/10.1?

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Yea you are right that there is very little that even requires DX 10.1 at the moment--I was assuming you want to keep this a little while.

Any graphic card in your price range could run this pretty easily.

The initial system requirements for Darkfall are as follows:
Operating System: Windows XP, Vista
Processor: 2.5GHz Pentium 4, or equivalent
RAM: 1GB for Windows XP, 2GB for Windows Vista
Graphics Card: 128MB PixelShader 2.0 support
Hard Drive Space: 12 GB Free Space Minimum

helloooimtylerrr

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I do want to keep it a little while, like maybe a year or so. Someone said during big seiges you need a good graphics card and recommended the radeon 4890 or GTX260. I think I will go with the radeon 4890.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Oh well I think any of the DX 10 cards would be good for more than a year.

Also... If you are just playing WOW... you probably dont need this good of a card.
I think you could get away with a 5750 and high quality 450w PSU (corsair, antec, pc power and cooling).