Bios crash

omendez

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Hi,
I have crashed my bios, and I'm struggling to recover it. there's a Bootblock Bios installed on an ASus M2NPV-MX.

WHEN i BOOT THE SYSTEM i GET THE FOLLOWING ERROR MESSAGE:

BIOS ROM CHECKSUM ERROR
KEYBOARD ERROR OR NO KEYBOARD PRESENT
DETECTING FLOPPY DRIVE A MEDIA...
DRIVE A ERROR

NOTICE THAT PISICALLY I DON'T HAVE ANY FLOPPY DRIVE INSTALLED. SINCE i CANNOT ACCESS THE BIOS ANYMORE I WONDER WHETHER THERE;S A WAY TO RECOVER FROM THE CRASH. ANY IDEAS OR SHOULD I BETTER GET A NEW MOTHER BOARD? THANKS A LOT.

Looks like you may need a floppy drive to recovery the bios:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/bios/compBoot-c.html

The Boot Block

The preceding section discusses updating the program code in the system BIOS by flashing it (replacing it under software control). If the flash procedure is done improperly, the BIOS code can become corrupted, which will cause the system to go into an unbootable state. Many newer systems come with a feature where a 4 KB "boot block" program is included as part of the BIOS. This is a tiny piece of code whose job it is to recover from a situation where the BIOS code is incorrect or corrupted.

If your motherboard supports this feature, when the PC tries to boot and finds the BIOS code corrupted, the boot block will try to recover the BIOS code, usually by reading it from a specially-prepared floppy disk. You may have to change a jumper on the motherboard to enable this capability, and you may need to make use of a "plain vanilla" ISA video card. The boot block will load the BIOS code and then when you next reboot, the regular BIOS code should be in place and the problem resolved.

You will need to follow the special recovery procedure outlined by your motherboard manufacturer if you want to take advantage of this feature.

omendez

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012

HI Nhasian,
Thanks a lot for your reply. I moved the jumper you mention above and once more I got access to be BIOS :) Now I have recovered back my system. Greetings.