Memory chip makers to pay $173 million for price fixing

Henry Chinaski

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
As we can read here, six top DRAM computer memory manufacturers ( Elpida, Hynix, Infineon, Micron, Mosel Vitelic, and NEC) and a group of state attorneys general have negotiated a $173 million antitrust settlement.

And with the inflated prices that they are still charging just how long do you think it is taking them to profit by more than that ?? A couple days maybe. I mean when the prices have more than doubled since the end of last year for the same product they are making a killing so that type of settlement isn't going to do anything to deter them from continuing to do the same old thing !!

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
SOoo, when will the price of RAM correct back to ~$12/GB? Around May last year, I bought 4 GB of DDR2-1066 for under $60 after tax (10% here in CA).

How many of you heard the story / rumor that the cost of RAM increased due to Apple and other MFG's soaking up hordes of chips to prepare for Christmas '09? Kinda makes me wonder about the story we were told in the mid-90's - "The main RAM manufacturing plant in Taiwan burnt down"...

well, back in April 2009 when i bought my currents desktop's parts, i got 8GB(4x2GB) or ram for $70, and everyone called me nuts then (in retrospect it was good as i have had plenty of occasions to use more than 4GB)

i could go around and sell each kit for like $50 probably