Sign in with
Your question

Advice needed

Last response: in Systems
December 14, 2009 3:33:00 PM

Hi Guys ,

This is my first post here , so please forgive me if i sound like a complete noob , My pc knowledge is somewhat out of date. I am looking at getting a Barebones PC for Gaming and viewing HD content , Ideally , I would to get it so i wont have to upgrade for a few years and that it can play top end games with ease , I am also going to get a Radeon HD4890 1GB Card to put in to my chosen setup. Below is my Current Rig and the two options i am looking at , Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

My Rig

Intel Core 2 Conroe 6400@2.13ghz
MSI P965 Neo Mobo
3GB Non Branded 800mhz RAM ( i think )
Radeon X1950 Pro 512MB GPU

My Choices

Opt1.

CPU: Intel i7-920
MBD: Asus P6T Motherboard
RAM: 3Gb OCZ Gold 1600MHz DDR3 Triple

Opt2

CPU: Athlon Phenom II X4 965, 3.4Ghz
MBD: AM3 / DDR3 / SATA
RAM: 8GB DDR2 1333MHz (4x 2Gb Strips)

Option 2 is £20 more

Thanks in Advance
Dog09

More about : advice needed

December 14, 2009 4:03:47 PM

See the thread "How to ask for new build advice." We need at least a budget...

Bare with the US prices. I have no idea on English equivalents.

You're going to want to get a different GPU. Look at the new ATI HD 5xxx series. With the price range I'm assuming, you should either get a 5770 (~$170) or 5850 (~$300). These will last a long time because they have DirectX 11 support.

Build #1: i7s aren't that good for gaming. You'll be paying a lot more for worse performance. Get an i5. That's possibly the best CPU for gaming available. It also uses dual channel memory, so the only changes in the build are the CPU and motherboard.

Build #2: You're paying extra for nothing if you buy the 965. Get the 955 and save a little bit. The 965 is just a factory overclocked 955.

Mobo: I like to recommend the ASUS M4A79XTD EVO. Here in the States it runs $115-120, and is one of the best values.

You've got the wrong RAM. You need DDR3. Also, you don't need 8 GB. 4 would do fine.
December 14, 2009 7:43:00 PM

MadAdmiral said:
See the thread "How to ask for new build advice." We need at least a budget...

Bare with the US prices. I have no idea on English equivalents.

You're going to want to get a different GPU. Look at the new ATI HD 5xxx series. With the price range I'm assuming, you should either get a 5770 (~$170) or 5850 (~$300). These will last a long time because they have DirectX 11 support.

Build #1: i7s aren't that good for gaming. You'll be paying a lot more for worse performance. Get an i5. That's possibly the best CPU for gaming available. It also uses dual channel memory, so the only changes in the build are the CPU and motherboard.

Build #2: You're paying extra for nothing if you buy the 965. Get the 955 and save a little bit. The 965 is just a factory overclocked 955.

Mobo: I like to recommend the ASUS M4A79XTD EVO. Here in the States it runs $115-120, and is one of the best values.

You've got the wrong RAM. You need DDR3. Also, you don't need 8 GB. 4 would do fine.

Thanks for the response , will look into getting the i5 and 5 series radeon
Related resources
December 14, 2009 7:58:32 PM

I think Admiral didnt phrase that well. i7s are not cost effective for gaming, they are certainly a strong CPU for any job. The Phenom II will not beat the i7 at any task (assuming you overclock it to match the Phenom II), which is why the i7 is more expensive but still selling well. At the same price, assuming all other components are the same I would get the i7. Surely they area sacrificing something else in the i7 system to get the prices the same?

An i5 system should be cheaper than an i7 and will be as good at gaming.
December 14, 2009 8:06:42 PM

I take it either option i choose with a new radeon would see a significant improvement on my current system???? A noticable one?
December 14, 2009 8:38:37 PM

Dogfood09 said:
I take it either option i choose with a new radeon would see a significant improvement on my current system???? A noticable one?

Thats really going to depend on your screen resolution and the games you play. If you have an old 1024x768 CRT then your current system may well exceed 60 FPS at max settings on some games. Since screens redraw at about 60FPS anything above that is just bragging rights.
December 14, 2009 8:53:00 PM

My pc is hooked up to my LCD 1080p tv 37" , normally play COD , Crysis etc... , never played games etc on pc connected to my tv before, as i just got rid of my 360 !! going back to pc gaming!
December 14, 2009 9:40:46 PM

If you want to match the 360 at that resolution you will need a good graphics card. The 4890 isnt a bad choice, especially if you dont mind replacing it in a year or two when DX11 becomes significant. Otherwise you are looking at the faster 5850 or slower 5770.
December 15, 2009 2:25:05 AM

Unless you are going for a '3 or more gfx card system', the i7 has no real advantage over i5.

i5's are more than happy to be oc'd if thats what you need.

Im biased, i really like intel so i'll always recommend them, but i7 may be overkill, especially if ur on a budget.
!