Sign in with
Your question

SOLUTION to PRICE jack; Alt Manufacturer for HDD

Last response: in Storage
November 21, 2011 5:45:02 AM

Heya all. Thanks for your time. I recently realized that hard drives just took a 2-3x price increase.

Are there any reliable HDD brands that havent squeezed prices? I see the Western Digital Caviar Black for $70 on Fry, but the manufacturer is SPRINGS not WD. What does this mean exactly? Is it the exact same product with a different manufacturer?

Does anyone know of any other manufacturer's or brands that haven't experienced a quantum leap in prices?

http://shop6.frys.com/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=...
November 21, 2011 5:55:06 AM

thats odd that it says springs as only western digital makes western digital drives.
i know that if you go into best buy they havent changed their prices. still higher than newegg was before the flood but still their same prices.
November 21, 2011 5:56:10 AM

And on one Note after Reading WD Business Update.

I am a citizen of the United States. I can only surmise the bulk of WD and Seagate market are in United States, Europe, and Japan.

With the United States having the largest economy in the world, I can only assume we are their largest market. (also the name "western")

Another American based company with an American CEO (John Coyne), who has taken the majority of its factories and jobs to other countries such as Thailand and India.

So will I support Poor Western Digital as their factories in Thailand are flooded? Will I support WD as another greedy wall street corporation that has taken advantage of the American Market and contributed to the current economic problems?

NO THANKS MR COYNE. For all I care, you can go swimming!

Related resources
November 21, 2011 6:14:49 AM

IDK, I live in South Korea and Samsung drives are still cheap.
November 21, 2011 6:17:28 AM

Thanks guys. That was a great thought.

Apparently even the samsung HDD are insanely expensive now. I checked newegg, my local fry's electronics, etc.

I dont even think samsung has been affected by the flooding, but apparently computer manufacturer's ordered HDD en Masse. A panic occurred and now every brand seems to just be in the toilet.

$50 HDD now going for $150, a triple price increase in a matter of weeks. Insanity.
November 22, 2011 4:15:44 PM

asustudent1 said:
... Are there any reliable HDD brands that havent squeezed prices? I see the Western Digital Caviar Black for $70 on Fry, but the manufacturer is SPRINGS not WD. What does this mean exactly? Is it the exact same product with a different manufacturer?... http://shop6.frys.com/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=...

If you look closely, you'll see that those $70 hard drives are actually out of stock. The cheapest WD Caviar Black that you can actually buy is $150.
November 22, 2011 4:55:49 PM

It doesn't matter if a company isn't producing products in Thailand. If they are the only manufacturer producing HDDs, then they will get a premium price since they are the only supplier and there is a ton of demand.
!