Solved

I need help installing my DDR2!

I'm installing a dual channel 2 GB module of DDR2 memory and Windows Vista isn't recognizing it. In this illustrationI installed the memory stick and the leftmost memory set with the word Patriot facing the right.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about installing ddr2
  1. If inserted properly, the module can only go one way as there's a notch at the bottom of it. How did you determine that Vista doesn't recognize it? The system boots, but you have less than 2 GB of RAM or the system doesn't POST?
  2. GhislainG said:
    If inserted properly, the module can only go one way as there's a notch at the bottom of it. How did you determine that Vista doesn't recognize it? The system boots, but you have less than 2 GB of RAM or the system doesn't POST?



    I know because I can boot into Vista and read it at Start menu > Computer content menu > Properties. I already had 2 GB of memory, but different speed, 667 MHz and this new module is the 800 MHz. Also, the original memory isn't dual channel.
  3. Advice Pro said:
    I know because I can boot into Vista and read it at Start menu > Computer content menu > Properties. I already had 2 GB of memory, but different speed, 667 MHz and this new module is the 800 MHz. Also, the original memory isn't dual channel.

    To start with, there's no such thing as dual-channel modules. Two or four modules always are required to achieve dual-channel operation. Now about your issue, did you install an additional 2GB module or did you replace the 667MHz module with the new 800MHz module? If both modules are installed, they should probably be in the black slots for dual-channel operation.
  4. GhislainG said:
    To start with, there's no such thing as dual-channel modules. Two or four modules always are required to achieve dual-channel operation. Now about your issue, did you install an additional 2GB module or did you replace the 667MHz module with the new 800MHz module? If both modules are installed, they should probably be in the black slots for dual-channel operation.


    I already had 2 GB of 667MHz memory in 3 modules and am installing this 2 GB of 800MHz module.
  5. Please post what memory is installed in each slot (you can use CPU-Z to get that info), how much memory you see in Vista and what you expected. Something doesn't make sense here.

    Based on your last reply, it looks like you have two 512MB DDR2 667MHz modules, one 1GB DDR2 667MHz module and one 2GB DDR2 800MHz module. I'm not sure your motherboard will support such a configuration, but it probably won't work in dual-channel mode.
  6. here's the slot information:

    Slot 1 : 512MB (5300)
    Slot 1 Manufacturer : Nanya Technology
    Slot 2 : 1024MB (5300)
    Slot 2 Manufacturer : Nanya Technology
    Slot 3 : 512MB (5300)
    Slot 3 Manufacturer : Nanya Technology
  7. Best answer
    Therefore the new module should be 1024MB (5300) Nanya Technology for dual-channel mode.

    I'm not familiar with your motherboard, but shouldn't the same size modules be in the same color slots? To verify, install only the 512MB modules in slots 1 and 2 and verify that the system operates in dual-channel mode.
  8. I re-aranged the modules and when restarted, I got:

    RAM : 3072 MB DDR2 Single Channel
    RAM Speed : 200.9 MHz (Unknown) @ 5-5-5-15
    Slot 1 : 2048MB (6400)
    Slot 1 Manufacturer : PDP Systems
    Slot 2 : 512MB (5300)
    Slot 2 Manufacturer : Nanya Technology
    Slot 3 : 512MB (5300)
    Slot 3 Manufacturer : Nanya Technology

    Thanks!
  9. Best answer selected by Advice Pro.
  10. If possible, set your RAM speed to 333MHz.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory DDR2 Dual Channel Windows Vista