rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
I have an AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE currently @ 3.2Ghz (stock) and I find that the stock heatsink fan ramps up up 6000+ RPM under load. This is extremely loud and annoying.

My alternative is to get an Corsair H60. Now I know that the Corsairs fan are OK. But I would probably try to get the most out of it's little radiator by replacing the stock fan with an..... SCYTHE ULTRA KAZE 3000!

Now, I just wanted to know what kind of noise levels should I be expected with these setups?
(Does anyone know the approximate db?)

1. AMD stock cooler @ high RPM
2. Corsair H60 w/ stock fan
3. Corsair H60 with Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000RPM

Thanks!

Solution
Noise comes primarily from the rpm that the fan is running at.

1. The stock fan can be loud. 6000rpm is loud!
2. The H60 fan goes up to 1700 rpm; much better.
3. The 3000rpm fan has to be in the middle.

Really, just buy the cm hyper212 and you will get very good cooling and little noise.
The problem with the H60 is that when mounted with the radiator fan drawing in cool air, the rest of your parts, including the graphics cards will get hotter.
When mounted to exhaust, it is no better than the less expensive hyper212.
amd at stock is loud
corsair h60 with stock fan is less than the stock
corsair with scythe fan is slightly less than stock fan

personally i would have went with a hyper 212 evo and put 2 fractal silent series fans on it for push pull. they produce less than 19dBa a piece

Noise comes primarily from the rpm that the fan is running at.

1. The stock fan can be loud. 6000rpm is loud!
2. The H60 fan goes up to 1700 rpm; much better.
3. The 3000rpm fan has to be in the middle.

Really, just buy the cm hyper212 and you will get very good cooling and little noise.
The problem with the H60 is that when mounted with the radiator fan drawing in cool air, the rest of your parts, including the graphics cards will get hotter.
When mounted to exhaust, it is no better than the less expensive hyper212.

Solution

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

There's nothing wrong with liquid cooling assuming you did the fitting correctly and didn't cheap out on tubing.

But there's no such thing as a cheap cooling system. You either pay big or get a cooling performance weaker than air cooling.