rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
I've been pretty much sold on getting a Corsair Hydro Series Watercooling System.
I'm planning to overclock my AMD Phenom II X4 to 4.0Ghz, and was wondering what would the performance of these setups be like.

1. H60 w/ stock fan (push or pull?)
2. H60 w/ Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000RPM (push or pull?)
3. H80 w/ stock fans (push/pull)

I can't fit an H100 because I don't have the space for a double rad in my case.

Thanks,

Solution
I would say put this on hold and spend your money on newer hardware. Newer CPUs are much better in clock-ability and temps, and even then a decent air cooler would work (not all air coolers are massive towers). New GPUs eclipse your 9800GT's by a large margin.

I say if this is your upgrade path, put the money forward on newer hardware, not a mediocre cooler.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I'd vote none for the amount of money being considered- especially if you are going to buy additional fans. Almost every good/great air cooler will perform as well as both the H60 or H80...even the H100, so none of the above is going to give you any kind of advantage over a good air cooler. Is there a reason you 'are sold on getting' a Corsair unit?

I have to agree with rubix_1011

When you say what would the performance be, I assume you want to know how your gaming will improve.

If so, I suspect that your 9800gt/sli is more of an issue than the cpu.

Try these tests:
a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.

Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 50% and see how you do.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade or OC is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be improved to get better gaming FPS.

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Thanks for all the replies. Very much appreciated.

I am not sure about an AIR cooler because
1. I recently ordered Corsair Dominator RAM sticks (with the fan attachment LOL), so I'm trying to avoid clearance issues.
2. I'm in an SLI rig, and case temps seem to be kindaaaaaa high no matter what I do; so using internal air to cool the CPU is not ideal, as far as I know.

I guess I should mention my intentions for my future PC upgrades.
The reason for overclocking the phenom is that I'm planning to upgrade GPUs to either GTX460s/GTX560s/GTX560TIs in SLI (when prices drop loooowwww); whichever my overclocked CPU can handle. One upgrade at a time.. CPUs gotta be first though.

And sorry, when I meant performance... I was wondering which would be able to cool the processor the best. My mistake for the confusion.

Thanks,

For maximum cpu cooling, the all in one coolers want you to mount the radiator in a fan opening so that the cool outside air is drawn in to the radiator. This does a good job of cooling the cpu chip. But the downside is that all the heated cpu air is then dumped into the case. That puts lots more pressure on case cooling to get the heat out of the case. A job made somewhat harder because the all in one cooler has prempted one or two of the exit fan openings. The result will be even more of a heat problem for your sli cards.

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

Yessir, exactly what I was thinking.
Which is another reason why I should upgrade to newer GPUs with reference cooler designs that exhaust air through their shrouds and out of the case.. unlike the 9800GTs I currently have which just spins the air inside.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I would say put this on hold and spend your money on newer hardware. Newer CPUs are much better in clock-ability and temps, and even then a decent air cooler would work (not all air coolers are massive towers). New GPUs eclipse your 9800GT's by a large margin.

I say if this is your upgrade path, put the money forward on newer hardware, not a mediocre cooler.

Solution