HELP!!! PC doesn't start after raising Hyper-Transport Bus frequency

clayestes

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
Hi, hopefully someone is able to help me with this issue because I've been searching all over the internet for a solution. But here is what happened: I just recently (like over the winter) got a new CPU, MB, and RAM. And when I first got all of these I got them installed etc. (after a difficult hair pulling process lol) but then I finally wanted to overclock my CPU because I mainly play FSX which relies a-lot on CPU power. so I wanted to overclock to 4.0+ Ghz which I accomplished successfully by just changing the CPU multiplier. But recently I have been getting BSODs and I tracked it to my system being unstable from the overclock, so yesterday I just reset the BIOS to the Default settings so I wouldn't do any damage, so anyways this morning when I woke up I got on my computer and checked my email etc. and I had to get some things done until I was finished and had sometime, so I decided to work on overclocking. So what I wanted to do was make overclocking easy lol because I don't have all day. But I do wan't a good stable overclock, so I just searched on Google "how to overclock" and went to a 12 step page on how to do it that made it LOOK pretty easy lol...and that may have been my 1st mistake is going to this website (http://www.wikihow.com/Overclock-a-PC). But I followed their directions, and to see if my CPU was unlocked or locked (I already knew, but I did it anyways...lol) I lowered my CPU multiplier and rebooted, and everything was going fine. So then I rebooted and moved on to step 6 and that's when it got funky...the instructions said to raise the FSB...and I couldn't find the FSB settings in my BIOS so I googled (on my iPad) how to change FSB with an AMD proccessor or something like that...and I founf out that the newer AMD proccessors don't have a FSB but they use Hyper-Transport Frequency or something like that lol, so what I decided to do...may not have been the wisest idea, but I raised the HT Frequency a few notches. And then I restarted my PC. So after I restarted, all of my fans light up and started spinning, like when your PC is booting up normaly. But no display showed up, so I just thought I over did it. So I shut it down and tried to reset the CMOS...via jumpers, unplugging computer, taking out battery. And I tried each of these several of times. And nothing has changed, the fans still spin but no display. I really hope someone can help and also I would greatly appreciate anyone that could help me out on overclocking since I'm an idiot...and if I should even of been using that website to overclock.

My PC Specs: (if you need more of my specs just let me know)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition Deneb 3.5GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDZ970FBGMBOX
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M4X1600C9G
MB: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Well, anyways I greatly appreciate everyone in advance for their help!

-Thanks, Clay

Solution
don't bother raising the HyperTransport on an unlocked CPU, from what ive seen and heard, AMD cpu's will top out about 4GHz (mines running 4005MHz 267*15)

wikihow isnt the worst website to use.. and Antec is known to have there good and bad days when it comes to power supplies

do you have a multimeter? if you do, can you test your 12V rail by connecting the red lead into the yellow wire, and the black lead into a black wire on a Molex cable

if not, do you have another system, or a friends system that you can try it in?

nna2

Distinguished
don't bother raising the HyperTransport on an unlocked CPU, from what ive seen and heard, AMD cpu's will top out about 4GHz (mines running 4005MHz 267*15)

wikihow isnt the worst website to use.. and Antec is known to have there good and bad days when it comes to power supplies

do you have a multimeter? if you do, can you test your 12V rail by connecting the red lead into the yellow wire, and the black lead into a black wire on a Molex cable

if not, do you have another system, or a friends system that you can try it in?

Solution

clayestes

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
So are you thinking its the PSU? Because I did see a video of how you can test to see if it's dead or not. The PSU is fairly new too. But I'll give it a try tomorrow. And also are you saying amd will put out 4ghz stable? Or do you know if there is anyway to go past that like 4.2 ghz? Also thanks alot for the help!

nna2

Distinguished
im not sure, i have a c3 stepping amd phenom and i require huge voltage to even boot 4.2GHz (and later have a crash doing nothing).. c2 stepping is worse

idk if black edition is any better, but i've had a higher FSB than i do right now and still had a stable boot, so i dont think thats it

clayestes

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
So, after reading around for a bit I'm starting to suspect that i have a broken CPU, what are your thoughts on this? I really hope it isn't because I literarily just bought this processor less than half a year ago.

clayestes

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
Ok, so I got my multimeter and tested my PSU and I got 12 volts on the main motherboard wire, and I also tested the CPU wires, and I also got 12v from those too. So I don't think it is the PSU. But I'm starting to start think that it is the CPU...because it has all the symptoms, according to this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/304481-28-find-dead
So should I try calling amd? Also thanks alot for the help so far.

clayestes

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
Ok, well I decided to RMA my motherboard after some research and I decided that it was more than likely not my CPU. So I should be receiving it next week sometime and hopefully it is working! Lol...but just from experience I probably won't be buying from gigabyte again, because there customer service isn't the best and they said they would ship my mobo last Thursday, but they still haven't shipped it. So I'm kinda ticked because I will be getting my new GPU in on Monday and would like to use it. So anyways I hope this can hope someone and thanks for the help!

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
My CPU is a Phenom II x6 1065t (stock @ 2.9ghz) and I OC'd it to a stable 4.102ghz @ 1.5125v

Cooling is critical with this line of CPUs if you can't keep it under 45*C you wont have any luck OCing them past 3.7-3.9 in my experience.

clayestes

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010

Well it was my CPU, it died. But I got it back and overclocked it again and I am running it stable @ 4.1 GHz @ 45 deg. C at idle and about 48-52 on 100% load.