Sign in with
Your question

Deal on Western Digital My Book Essential 3TBs

Last response: in Storage
November 21, 2011 12:39:54 PM

I was planning on getting 2 3TB drives in the summer when they were cheap, well I decided to wait until the holidays when I had more money. Well, we all know how that went with the flooding and what not.

Anyway I really need those drives now and they are extremely expensive on Newegg, but Costco has 3TB Western Digital My Book Essentials for 109 dollars right now. Not a terrible deal, I am positive the drives in those are 3TB 5400 Green drives. I would just pop them out and put the in my computer.

Any advice is this is a good idea or not? I'm not even sure those drives are that great, they get terrible reviews, but I need the storage space.
a c 383 G Storage
November 21, 2011 2:41:52 PM

It should work fine, but you'll void the warranty as soon as you crack the case to get the drive out.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 21, 2011 2:54:09 PM

I use a green 2 TB for external storage. Why do you need internal?
m
l
Related resources
November 21, 2011 3:38:03 PM

I'm not worried about the warranty.

USB speeds sucks, the USB 3.0 on that brand of Western Digital Drives barely works according to what I've seen.

And I'd rather not deal with external drives as is, I don't like them.

Oh and I'm going to RAID 1 them.
m
l
November 22, 2011 2:27:23 PM

Why don't you like external hard drives?
My C drive is just about full & there's not another thing I can remove so I'm resorting to an external HD that I already have. I have been using it only for back-ups and there is plenty of room. The problem is that it doesn't automatically become available on boot-up. I have to physically shut it off & turn it on again and watch as it loads every file on it. I have to install 2 new programs soon and I am concerned about it not becoming available immediately on boot-up.
I think it used to be available immediately on boot-up so what could have happened to change that? How can I resolve this issue?
m
l
November 23, 2011 3:31:12 AM

Helltech said:
I was planning on getting 2 3TB drives in the summer when they were cheap, well I decided to wait until the holidays when I had more money. Well, we all know how that went with the flooding and what not.

Anyway I really need those drives now and they are extremely expensive on Newegg, but Costco has 3TB Western Digital My Book Essentials for 109 dollars right now. Not a terrible deal, I am positive the drives in those are 3TB 5400 Green drives. I would just pop them out and put the in my computer.

Any advice is this is a good idea or not? I'm not even sure those drives are that great, they get terrible reviews, but I need the storage space.

Works fine but you will need to re-partition and format the drive once the WD USB controller is pulled off (and thrown in the trash). For some stupid reason the controllers on the 3TB drives doesn't use the standard

Make sure your bios and OS support hard drives larger than 2TB or you will only be able to use 2.2TB of the drive (without using drive utility fixes). You will also need a OS that supports GDP formatting.

I've got 6 of these drives, and 8 of the 2TB versions pulled from the external enclosure and running in my workstation or in Rosewell External enclosures. I prefer a true GDP format in a hot-swap air-cooled external enclosure over the proprietary format that WD uses on these drives. That way I can recover data if the controller fails - and I've had a number of the 'My Book' controllers fail.
m
l
a c 383 G Storage
November 23, 2011 11:00:59 AM

PapaGMP said:
Works fine but you will need to re-partition and format the drive once the WD USB controller is pulled off (and thrown in the trash). For some stupid reason the controllers on the 3TB drives doesn't use the standard

Make sure your bios and OS support hard drives larger than 2TB or you will only be able to use 2.2TB of the drive (without using drive utility fixes). You will also need a OS that supports GDP formatting.

I've got 6 of these drives, and 8 of the 2TB versions pulled from the external enclosure and running in my workstation or in Rosewell External enclosures. I prefer a true GDP format in a hot-swap air-cooled external enclosure over the proprietary format that WD uses on these drives. That way I can recover data if the controller fails - and I've had a number of the 'My Book' controllers fail.

You mean GPT, not GDP. Also, that's a partition type (MBR vs. GPT), not a format. It's still formatted NTFS.
m
l
November 27, 2011 11:09:36 PM

Helltech said:

I bought one of these from Costco a few months ago hoping to use it for external storage of video files. It seems to hold the files just fine but performance for video playback really sucks. At first I thought it was my using USB 2.0 but even after installing a USB 3.0 interface, I cannot get through a ripped DVD without the drive freezing up. My LaCie external works fine on USB 2 with the same files. I'm guessing WD isn't using their highest performance drives in these external boxes but I thought I'd at least be able to uni-task.

Is it the USB or the drive? Would I have better success also taking the drive out and going SATA direct?
m
l
!