Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which radiator fan is a better buy?

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Cooling
  • Fan
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
Share

Which is a better buy?

Total: 7 votes (7 blank votes)

  • Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850RPM - $14.13
  • 0 %
  • Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000RPM - $6.60
  • 0 %
  • Corsair H60 Stock Fan 1700RPM - $0.00
  • 0 %
June 13, 2012 1:28:46 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to decide which is better deal as a cooling fan for a Corsair H60.
I know both of them will provide good airflow and cooling performance.

I'm thinking the GTs are quieter, while the Kazes are stronger...
Is that the main difference?

Clearly, I'm looking to spend as little as possible.
Is the price premium justified for a Gentle Typhoon?

Is it even worth it to buy better fans for an H60?
I hear the stock fan is OK, should I just stick with that and save $$$ altogether.

Thanks,

BTW,

I have a fan controller. ^^v
Anything will be quiter than the stock cooler that I am currently using.

More about : radiator fan buy

a b K Overclocking
June 13, 2012 1:51:45 PM

The GT AP-15 might not be appropriate, since they're better for low FPI rads, and the H60 has a high FPI count at around 22 FPI.

In a case where the FPI is high, you want higher CFM/RPM fans, which is obviously where the Ultra Kaze wins out. Keep in mind that A) it is a 38mm thick fans, not a standard 25mm thick fan, and B) it is a tornado of a fan. It will certainly work excellently, but it will be very loud, as I believe they're rated for ~40 dBA.
June 13, 2012 2:09:44 PM

boiler1990 said:
The GT AP-15 might not be appropriate, since they're better for low FPI rads, and the H60 has a high FPI count at around 22 FPI.

In a case where the FPI is high, you want higher CFM/RPM fans, which is obviously where the Ultra Kaze wins out. Keep in mind that A) it is a 38mm thick fans, not a standard 25mm thick fan, and B) it is a tornado of a fan. It will certainly work excellently, but it will be very loud, as I believe they're rated for ~40 dBA.



Thank you for the response. I actually had no idea about the FPI count.

What is your opinion on the Scythe Gentle Typhoon 3000RPMs? I know that they're constructed differentl than the AP-15s.

How does a Gentle Typhoon 3000RPM compare with a Ultra Kaze 3000RPM for this setup?

http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=71640&promoid=1060
Related resources
a c 337 K Overclocking
June 13, 2012 2:15:32 PM

I run 6x Ultra Kaze fans on my radiators, but they are MCR320's and lower FPI. I got them mainly for high performance and I have the ability to run them at lower speed via fan controller. They are very beefy fans and I really like them, but I'd consider them wasted on something like an H-series cooler. You could likely just find some 25mm fans that are decent CFM for push/pull and call it a day. Fan choice isn't going to make a huge difference at the end of the day for push/pull on a Corsair/Antec boxed cooler.
a b K Overclocking
June 13, 2012 2:16:31 PM

The AP-29 is rated for 83 CFM @ 36.5 dBA, while the Ultra Kaze 3000 is rated for 133.60 CFM @ 45.9 dBA.

A third fan you may want to consider in this range of airflow/noise is the Scythe Slipstream 1900RPM model, which will push 110.3 CFM @ 37 dBA.

Though I don't have numbers to definitively prove it, the AP-29 and Kaze fans will have a higher static pressure, which does matter some.

FWIW, I used the Slipstream 1900 RPM fans on my triple rad, and they worked superbly. In the end, I'm not sure investing over $15 in a new fan that will be marginally better than the stock fan will be worth it, since you'll also be limited by the radiator and the pump in the cooler.
June 13, 2012 2:21:13 PM

rubix_1011 said:
I run 6x Ultra Kaze fans on my radiators, but they are MCR320's and lower FPI. I got them mainly for high performance and I have the ability to run them at lower speed via fan controller. They are very beefy fans and I really like them, but I'd consider them wasted on something like an H-series cooler. You could likely just find some 25mm fans that are decent CFM for push/pull and call it a day. Fan choice isn't going to make a huge difference at the end of the day for push/pull on a Corsair/Antec boxed cooler.


Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated.

I have a question regarding push/pull configs on a radiator...
Does it make much of a difference?

I've been reading alot of comments about push/pull having no real benefit, and that it would perform more or less than same (+/- 1c) than just having a push...


Having believed that statement above, I thought it would be best just to run an H60 w/ a powerful fan.
If push/pull makes a difference, then I might opt for the H80 w/ stock fans and just call it a day.


Thanks
June 13, 2012 2:28:27 PM

boiler1990 said:
The AP-29 is rated for 83 CFM @ 36.5 dBA, while the Ultra Kaze 3000 is rated for 133.60 CFM @ 45.9 dBA.

A third fan you may want to consider in this range of airflow/noise is the Scythe Slipstream 1900RPM model, which will push 110.3 CFM @ 37 dBA.

Though I don't have numbers to definitively prove it, the AP-29 and Kaze fans will have a higher static pressure, which does matter some.

FWIW, I used the Slipstream 1900 RPM fans on my triple rad, and they worked superbly. In the end, I'm not sure investing over $15 in a new fan that will be marginally better than the stock fan will be worth it, since you'll also be limited by the radiator and the pump in the cooler.



WOW. I was just thinking the same thing.
It is my understanding that higher static pressure is KEY for radiator cooling.

However, I did not think that the Scythe Slip Stream Kaze Jyuni would have high statics pressure. Am I incorrect? If it works well for you, I must've missed something.
Would it be that I need two of them in push/pull to get the most of out of them?




Thanks.


As you can see, the fans I'm looking at are less than $7 each ;D
Good deal?

Scythe Ultra Kaze 120MM High Static Pressure Fan 38MM 3000RPM 133.6CFM 45.9DBA
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=14110AC5417&v...

Scythe Slip Stream Kaze Jyuni 120MM Fan 1900RPM 110.3CFM 37DBA
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=14110AC0944&v...
a c 337 K Overclocking
June 13, 2012 2:29:36 PM

I don't think you're going to be impressed with either an H60 or H80 with push/pull, so I hope you aren't expecting miracles over what a good air cooler can do by comparison.

Push/pull will get you the best results and will be better than a single fan, as this is the case (push/pull) on any air cooler or radiator over any single fan config unless you have low FPI and med/high speed fans.
a b K Overclocking
June 13, 2012 2:39:42 PM

Quote:
However, I did not think that the Scythe Slip Stream Kaze Jyuni would have high statics pressure. Am I incorrect? If it works well for you, I must've missed something.
Would it be that I need two of them in push/pull to get the most of out of them?


I ran mine in pull (which isn't necessarily recommended - push is better for faster fans), but my guess is that the Slipstreams have a higher static pressure than your average fan, and I'd imagine it's pretty high up there since it can push 110CFM @ 1900RPM (vs. 3000 RPM). The fan blade design clearly has something to do with it.

For reference, I was getting max GPU temps of 45C with 2x6950s and an i5-2500K with the same rads that are in my signature.

Quote:
Scythe Ultra Kaze 120MM High Static Pressure Fan 38MM 3000RPM 133.6CFM 45.9DBA
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=14110AC5417&v...

Scythe Slip Stream Kaze Jyuni 120MM Fan 1900RPM 110.3CFM 37DBA
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=14110AC0944&v...

Man, these are cheap. The best I could find for my Slipstreams was $11 per fan. Ultra Kazes and Gentle Typhoons will break the $20/ea barrier pretty easily.
a c 337 K Overclocking
June 13, 2012 2:53:52 PM

I found 2000 and 3000 rpm Ultra Kazes on sale at PerformancePCs for $6.95/ea back last Nov/Dec. Looks like they are now ~$13/ea.

June 13, 2012 3:23:02 PM

rubix_1011 said:
I don't think you're going to be impressed with either an H60 or H80 with push/pull, so I hope you aren't expecting miracles over what a good air cooler can do by comparison.

Push/pull will get you the best results and will be better than a single fan, as this is the case (push/pull) on any air cooler or radiator over any single fan config unless you have low FPI and med/high speed fans.


Yep, I know.

I just have physical constraints that I cannot use a big air cooler hanging from the CPU socket.
& I am not ready to make my own custom liquid cooling loop at the moment.
Besides, anything is better than the AMD stock cooler @ 6000RPM.

Just for clarification, push/pull is better than a single fan config.
Can you give me an estimation as to how much better cooling performance could be?
1c? 2c? 5c? 10c?

I am keeping in mind the limitations of the radiator and pump of the H series cooler.

Thanks again.
June 13, 2012 3:41:07 PM

boiler1990 said:
Quote:
However, I did not think that the Scythe Slip Stream Kaze Jyuni would have high statics pressure. Am I incorrect? If it works well for you, I must've missed something.
Would it be that I need two of them in push/pull to get the most of out of them?


I ran mine in pull (which isn't necessarily recommended - push is better for faster fans), but my guess is that the Slipstreams have a higher static pressure than your average fan, and I'd imagine it's pretty high up there since it can push 110CFM @ 1900RPM (vs. 3000 RPM). The fan blade design clearly has something to do with it.

For reference, I was getting max GPU temps of 45C with 2x6950s and an i5-2500K with the same rads that are in my signature.

Quote:
Scythe Ultra Kaze 120MM High Static Pressure Fan 38MM 3000RPM 133.6CFM 45.9DBA
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=14110AC5417&v...

Scythe Slip Stream Kaze Jyuni 120MM Fan 1900RPM 110.3CFM 37DBA
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=14110AC0944&v...

Man, these are cheap. The best I could find for my Slipstreams was $11 per fan. Ultra Kazes and Gentle Typhoons will break the $20/ea barrier pretty easily.



Alright, thanks for all your help.
I most likely won't go push/pull with an H60 as I only have 1x3-pin fan header to spare (LOL)
Unless I decide to go with the H80.

I'll try the stock fan first, and see how they are (it's supposed to cool decently anyway , just a little loud). If I think it could be better, I'll move up to the Ultra Kaze 3000. Besides, at $7, I'm sure I could find use for this fan somewhere else.


& yeah, it's funny how cheap/pricey PC components can be.
I have a list of like 10 online websites which I check before I buy anything... then I just go to NCIX and pricematch for local pickup. Everytime. FTW.
a c 337 K Overclocking
June 13, 2012 3:51:40 PM

Quote:
Just for clarification, push/pull is better than a single fan config.


Yes, in almost every instance. At very least, there would be no difference in temps.

Quote:
Can you give me an estimation as to how much better cooling performance could be?
1c? 2c? 5c? 10c?


It depends on ambient room temps and fans in question as well as how you have your cooler setup, CPU clock speed and case airflow. I'd say you could realistically see a 3-5C difference in push/pull vs. single fan.
June 13, 2012 4:08:46 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:
Just for clarification, push/pull is better than a single fan config.


Yes, in almost every instance. At very least, there would be no difference in temps.

Quote:
Can you give me an estimation as to how much better cooling performance could be?
1c? 2c? 5c? 10c?


It depends on ambient room temps and fans in question as well as how you have your cooler setup, CPU clock speed and case airflow. I'd say you could realistically see a 3-5C difference in push/pull vs. single fan.



Awesome.

I already asked this in another thread, but didn't really get a clear answer.

Are the cooler master R4s decent radiator fans?
The specs seem similar to those of Corsairs Stock fan... so maybe I can use spare dual R4s as a push/pull over a single stock fan?

Cooler Master R4 Silent 120mm 2000RPM
Air Flow: 69 CFM
Air Pressure: 2.94-3.04 mm H2O

Corsair Stock Fan 1700RPM
Air Flow: 74.4 CFM
Air Pressure: 3.2 mm H2O

Sorry for the many questions. I really appreciate all your time and help.
a c 337 K Overclocking
June 13, 2012 4:46:02 PM

Yeah, that should be fine. Just ensure the airflow is going in one side and out the other.
June 13, 2012 5:15:23 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Yeah, that should be fine. Just ensure the airflow is going in one side and out the other.


Thanks so performance should be about the same?

BTW There is an Antec Kuhler H20 620 for $40... I'm having a hard time deciding now...

I liked Corsair for their 5 year warranty... For $20 more ... =T
a c 337 K Overclocking
June 13, 2012 5:53:33 PM

H80 > Kuhler 620 if you are trying to decide that.

H60 = 620 (ballpark)

Someone correct me if I am wrong, though.
June 13, 2012 6:13:25 PM

Yeah, you're right.

I think I'll just settle for the Antec 620 due to cost... =="

Since the H60 = 620 in performance and price (normally); I would choose Corsair because I like their mounting system better + Corsair has better warranty and reliability as a company... Not sure if that is worth $20 O_o

The Cooler Master Hyper 212+/evo is ~$30 on average (at least currently)?
So spending an extra $10 for the Antec 620 doesn't make me feel too bad.
!