Sign in with
Your question

Replace HP Mobo, or build new?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 1, 2010 2:10:32 AM

The motherboard on my HP a6152n went up. I want to pick up a new mobo for it and swap over everything else.

Here are a few of the mobos I'm looking at: Newegg Compare Products

I'm concerned about something called "Code Purple"?? I think that may happen if I swap out the mobo? The warranty is out on the computer, and if I'm going to shell out >$200 for repair, I figure I may as well get a better product. I'm not quite sure what the "code purple" will do - reneder the OS unusable? So then am I out more $$ for a mobo + new OS?

Maybe I can set the BIOS to boot from CD and run Ubuntu, partition the disk and load Ubuntu on it?

Any suggestions, ideas, or other options?

Thanks!

More about : replace mobo build

a c 435 V Motherboard
a b α HP
July 1, 2010 2:16:43 AM

Ubunto will work. But check your local craigslist for windows 7 or xp. I've found xp cd's with keycodes for $35-40 nearly everyday. The cheapest asus board on your newegg list should work fine. Just be sure to click on the manufacturer's link and check "cpu support" before ordering to be sure your cpu is supported and the bios version required.
m
l
July 1, 2010 11:46:54 AM

o1die said:
Ubunto will work. But check your local craigslist for windows 7 or xp. I've found xp cd's with keycodes for $35-40 nearly everyday. The cheapest asus board on your newegg list should work fine. Just be sure to click on the manufacturer's link and check "cpu support" before ordering to be sure your cpu is supported and the bios version required.

Just checked, it's on the list. I'll keep an eye out for a Windows 7 disk, too...
m
l
!