Will an antec earthwatts 500-watt atx cpu power supply

minkus75smn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Hello, i have a question and need some help/advice.
I am building a new budget system to replace my 6 yr old build, my new specs will be
Intel E6500 processor
GIGABYTE GA-G41M-ES2L mobo
2gb of ddr2 667mhz(old ram thats the last thing i will upgrade more important stuff 1st)
Nvidia gtx 260 core 216
Sb audigy or somehting like that not the best buy it works for me
2x 120mm fans and 1x80 mm case fan but they pull min power
1 usb mouse and keyboard
Im going to get a new power supply and for my budget had my eye on antec earthwatts 500-watt, my question is will that be enough to power my gfx card and everything else? it has 2 pci 6 pin which the card needs and a 12v rating of 44 combined.
any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Solution

It's quite possible that it was a faulty psu, stinks, but it happens.
Just to be clear, the setup in the photo isn't what you see at the bottom of my post's.
It consisted of an E6850 at 3.6 / 2x2 GSkill / 2x 160g in Raid 0 / SB Audigy LE / GTX 260 core 192 and the 2 fans that you see.
Probably pulled a bit more than your system but not much.
+1 what delluser1 said.

The Antec Earthwatts EA500 power supply can power a pc system with one Nvidia GTX 260 video card.

The formula for determining current (amps) on the +12 volt rail is watts divided by volts = current (amps)

watts = maximum wattage on the +12 volt rail listed on the psu data label
volts = 12 volts

minkus75smn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
well i went ahead and tried the 500w it didnt work. i tried to play a game and before my system shut down my card was making this whining noise.I opened it up made sure everything was plugged in tight and tried it again this time it made it a little farther then turned off. Weird thing is my old power supply a turbocool 510 atx has less on the 12v rails 18a and 16a but has more continuous wattage. So i think ill take it back and pay $10 for the 600w see if that works.

Can't say why it didn't work, can tell you that it wasn't due to lack of power.
I've run a GTX260 with an EA430 as well as the 500

imkqau.jpg

It's quite possible that it was a faulty psu, stinks, but it happens.
Just to be clear, the setup in the photo isn't what you see at the bottom of my post's.
It consisted of an E6850 at 3.6 / 2x2 GSkill / 2x 160g in Raid 0 / SB Audigy LE / GTX 260 core 192 and the 2 fans that you see.
Probably pulled a bit more than your system but not much.

Solution

minkus75smn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
well it seems to only happen when i try to play crysis. i loaded up some other games STO, WOW, and world in conflict all worked fine with no whining or hiccuping.But with crysis it starts to work fine and then hangsup and whines then boom off.Mybe its a driver thing guess i wont play crysis for now lol.

Not directly related to your problem, but the GA-G41 board does not officially support RAM faster than what you already have. Upgrading RAM will yield minimum system improvement.

delluser, I thought about buying or building one of those frames for my breadboards, but I figured that I wouldn't use it that much.

I picked it up ( second hand ) because I had gotten tired of putting builds together on boxes, then ended up using it for my back up system, still building on boxes.
This is what it looks like now

35be5pi.jpg