Sign in with
Your question

To buy a new mother board or new gpu?

Last response: in Overclocking
June 13, 2012 7:43:31 PM

Hello, i would like to get a little more performance
on my computer but my hp pavilion isn't overclockable... so should i buy a new motherboard that can be overclocked or just buy a new gpu?

More about : buy mother board gpu

a c 266 U Graphics card
a c 249 V Motherboard
a c 125 K Overclocking
June 13, 2012 8:19:07 PM

If, by performance, you mean fps in gaming, then usually the graphics card is way more important than the cpu speed.

To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.

Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 50% and see how you do.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

What cpu and gpu do you now have?
June 13, 2012 8:39:57 PM

my cpu is an AMD quad core 2,4 ghz (boosted up to 2,7 ghz)
and i think my gpu is a AMD radeon hd 6000 series, i'm not really sure, i'm not at my computer right now.
Related resources
June 13, 2012 8:57:30 PM

and i think i would get a lot of performance of my gpu by overclocking. I were able to overclock it from 650 to 675 mhz... so not really much. its running normally in about 40 Celsius. And when i run MSI kombuster its around 60 Celsius
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 14, 2012 5:50:27 PM

Well, it depends. You have an OEM based board; which also means you may have low frequency ram. Since rarely do companies whom mass manufacture; give you quality products.

Which series Graphics-Card do you have?

1. Right-Click Computer
2. Properties
3. Device Manager

What card do you have?

But what are the rest of your machines specifications?

You've purchased a machine from a company that mass produces. They usually use OEM Components. Which can be low grade; thus the reason the prices are usually appealing to consumers. The next dilemma; they figure out the lowest cost they can, where they can cut corners.

An example would be your power-supply; if your current machine requires 350 watts to run. They essentially will give you 350 or 400 watt power-supply. So you have little wiggle room; so purchasing a higher end GPU may require an additional Power-Supply.

That's why it's important to know all of your existing parts.

Also what was stated above by Geo is also true; your essentially testing to see if your games are CPU reliant or GPU reliant. Boosting your CPU in a game that requires more GPU power; won't benefit nor would it be an upgrade and vice versa.
!