Sign in with
Your question
Solved

LGA775 recomendations

Last response: in Motherboards
July 1, 2010 5:29:22 AM

Well with the lga775 becoming obsolite i thought i'd buy another motherboard since im runing low on sata ports on my ga-p35-ds3l. I also want to use this mobo in a different pc which has a pentium 4 processor.

Out of the STILL AVALIABLE lga775 motherboards would be a good one. I would like one that supports SLI, and DDR 3 ram

I coudl not find any of the boards i really wanted back when i built my pc, no more 790i's, etc.

anyways like i said need to knwo whats the best mobo avaliable for lga775 today, and if its any better than what i have for overclocking.

More about : lga775 recomendations

a b V Motherboard
July 1, 2010 5:38:03 AM

for sata ports you can get a sata controller card, though since you want to use this for another PC i guess it doesn't matter

for LGA 775, DDR3 isn't going to help, just find an sli capable motherboard in your price range (either DDR2 or DDR3)
m
l
July 1, 2010 4:45:12 PM

I was thinking DDR3 mainly for future proofing. The mobo's i'd really like to find are 780i or 790i but i cant find them anywhere other than ebay or untrustworth websites.
m
l
Related resources
July 1, 2010 6:19:07 PM

Well after some reserach ive narrowed it down to one one of these 3.

geting the xfx 790i off ebay.

Geting the gigabyte GA-EP45T-USB3P

or geting the gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR

It stinks that the p45s cant do 2 way sli...

I would get rid of the lga775, but it looks like intel is going to be phaseing the lga1366 out in 2011. Im trying to hold out on changeing the socket type untill they come up with something that may be around more than 3 years, and the games start actually using quad core and 6 core chips. I know some use quad core now but the games are minimual and not worth the cost to upgrade to them.

Im hopeing that at least with ddr 3 ram it will be around for a while.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 1, 2010 6:24:40 PM

well what is the complete system you have now

depending on what you have you could get AM3 socket with a future upgrade (drop in replacement) for Bulldozer
m
l
July 1, 2010 8:31:49 PM

For some reason my signature is not posting :/ ....

anyways here is it

antec 900

wolfdale e8400 w/ thermal right 120 extreme clocked to 4.050 ghz

gigabyte ga-p35-ds3l

4 1gb ddr2 1066 ocz ram.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 1, 2010 8:55:38 PM

what GPU do you have that you want to make sure that you have SLI, buying another LGA 775 board just seems silly (unless you need a new board for the other system with the P4)

what GPU is it?
m
l
July 1, 2010 11:53:42 PM

I want raid on my current gaming system. also wich my board doesent support. The rev one did i think but rev two doesent.

I reciently lost several hundred gig of data becuase my hard drive crashed and with my slow 756k connection its taking me days and days to get my games from steam downloaded again.

After more though i think it might be best for me to look at geting a sata raid card and avoid fooling with microsoft (both systems have OEM professonal on them so every time i change a mobo or rebuild it i have to call and get a new key)
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2010 12:19:00 AM

well, i can see why you want an sli board, so i guess you could get one of the boards i posted above (750i from newegg or the 790i from ebay) and it should do you fine

though i would also get a sata raid card
July 2, 2010 1:37:22 AM

Any recomendations for a sata raid card? I want one for data loss prevention. It looks like raid 5 is the best setup for this. But if there is one that prevents data loss and has performance gains then i'd use it. but I dont know of one. At weve always done mirrored os drives, and then raid 5 with one spare drive.
m
l
July 2, 2010 1:38:27 AM

Another reason i was thinking of geting a new board is that mine only has a picexpress 1.o slot not a 2.o
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2010 1:54:08 AM

for a single card pci-e 1.0 is only going reduce the speed by 4-5% for a GTX480 so i wouldn't worry about that too much, though if you can wait until LGA1155 (Sandy Bridge) that might be a better time to get a new mobo/cpu/ram set

as for raid card, how many HDD's? and personally i prefer raid-10 over raid-5 for the better write performance (raid-5 slows down pretty bade) only problem is that you have to use 4+ drives (even amounts) and you only get half of the space

EDIT: Adaptec 2240900-R 4 port sata raid support raid 0/1/10 uses pci-express 4x slot
m
l
July 2, 2010 2:54:22 AM

I can fit 6 hard drives in my case and thats most likely what i'll use.

I might get the board from ebay its very tempting. I can remember that board being like 350 bucks back when it came out. I am trying to find out what the refurbished means, if its just a repacked one then i'll get it but if its had to be repaired i may not.

m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2010 3:02:15 AM

cheapest 8 port SATA 3.0Gpbs
HighPoint RocketRAID 2320 pi-e 4x

refurb usually means repair, i would go for the 750i from newegg then
m
l
July 2, 2010 3:59:32 AM

my motherboard only has pic express x16, x1, and pci slots... which stinks.

not an issue though if i go with the 750i
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2010 4:04:52 AM

its still an issue though since you may want sli in the future, and i can't find any 8 port cards to fit in pci-e x1, though if you wouldn't mind a Raid-0 set for fast access information (like games) and a raid-5 for long term storage (movies, TV shows, backups) you could do 2 of the HDD's on the motherboard and a pci-e x1 4 port raid
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2010 1:49:30 PM

^not bad, but still doesn't help the problem if he wants to go sli and have some sort of raid (since its need more than an x1 slot)
m
l
July 2, 2010 4:43:57 PM

its not easy to find mobos with ddr2 ram anymore! only junky cheap ones, or way over-priced ones. And the junky ones have really crappy bios options! Im still hunting........
m
l
July 2, 2010 7:02:09 PM

well i bought the 790i from geeks. I spoke with them over the phone and they spoke english which is a plus, and they also told me that they had one that was just a used one and was not refurbished, and gave me a 6 month warrenty. They said they label most things refurbished so that it can be warrentied. So we'll see how it goes.

Now i have to figure out what kind of ram to get.

here's what is supports

Supports up to 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz memory
Supports SLI-Ready memory with EPP 2.0 up to 2000 MHz

To me i think this means that any ddr 2000 kit will work but im not sure.

m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2010 9:27:55 PM

brianfulcher15 said:
well i bought the 790i from geeks. I spoke with them over the phone and they spoke english which is a plus, and they also told me that they had one that was just a used one and was not refurbished, and gave me a 6 month warrenty. They said they label most things refurbished so that it can be warrentied. So we'll see how it goes.

Now i have to figure out what kind of ram to get.

here's what is supports

Supports up to 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz memory
Supports SLI-Ready memory with EPP 2.0 up to 2000 MHz

To me i think this means that any ddr 2000 kit will work but im not sure.

well if you are going to overclock, you may want to get DDR3-1600 ram (2000 is too expensive and in general, a waste of money over 1600), just get low latency (CCL7 preferred, CL8 would work as well)

this would allow you to have a bus speed of 1600 (400 quad rate) and have the memory working well with it
m
l
July 3, 2010 10:41:45 PM

well ive narrowed it down to 3 memory kits.

ITs a hard decision becuase the cheapest has the highest reviews, however the new version has no reviews, and then the kit witht he ddr 2000 ram is 15 dollars more.

reviews say they all can be clocked lowere than what the they are rated most 7 8 8 9

on stock voltage.

heres the links

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
July 4, 2010 1:07:48 AM

i think i'll get that kit. I hope i dont run into issues being able to run it at 1600 or faster.

the bios says it has to be sli certified to run above 1333.

Do you think it would be worth it to get a 8 gb kit? I dont think theres really any noticable gains going past 6gb from the benchmarks ive read.
m
l
July 4, 2010 1:11:29 AM

it says it has to be EPP2.0 memory...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 4, 2010 3:55:50 PM

brianfulcher15 said:
i think i'll get that kit. I hope i dont run into issues being able to run it at 1600 or faster.

the bios says it has to be sli certified to run above 1333.

Do you think it would be worth it to get a 8 gb kit? I dont think theres really any noticable gains going past 6gb from the benchmarks ive read.

it shouldn't be an issue running it at DDR3-1600, even if it doesn't at the beginning, overclocking through the FSB will raise the ram speed and the DDR3-1600 will give some head room

i wouldn't go for an 8GB kit unless you use any memory intensive apps a lot (like HD video editing)

brianfulcher15 said:
it says it has to be EPP2.0 memory...

no, that's only for profiles beyond the normal JEDEC specs, the ram will work fine
m
l
July 4, 2010 5:33:09 PM

everyone needs to realize (me included) that ddr2 and their boards are done. Buy the ddr3 so your ram can be compatible with the i series processor, which everyone will eventually have within the next few months to a year. intel changed the world of computing with the i series. we all need to assimilate. The first step is to buy a motherboard that supports these (ddr3 my brothers!) and go from there.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 4, 2010 5:45:36 PM

larz said:
everyone needs to realize (me included) that ddr2 and their boards are done. Buy the ddr3 so your ram can be compatible with the i series processor, which everyone will eventually have within the next few months to a year. intel changed the world of computing with the i series. we all need to assimilate. The first step is to buy a motherboard that supports these (ddr3 my brothers!) and go from there.

wow.....just wow.... i am hoping that you aren't serious (and if you are, you are literally crazy)
m
l
July 4, 2010 7:23:56 PM

larz said:

wow... you must not keep up with the news.... no one is buying the Iserires now unless they are building a new pc.. the sandy beach will be out in 2012, and a dual core 3ghz processor is enough for all games out now.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 5, 2010 4:42:33 AM

brianfulcher15 said:
wow... you must not keep up with the news.... no one is buying the Iserires now unless they are building a new pc.. the sandy beach will be out in 2012, and a dual core 3ghz processor is enough for all games out now.

i disagree about the dual core part, there are plenty of games using 3 (and 3+) cores not that a dual core isn't enough, even at 4 GHz
m
l
July 5, 2010 5:41:59 AM

no issues with mine yet... knock on wood, but it helps that i have a really good gpu.
m
l
July 5, 2010 6:07:23 AM

but yea there are some games that use it, but most people are not upgradeing to them just becuase of the gains in games, its not worth the price to upgrade if you already own a dual core unless you own a low 2.5 ghz or less dual core.

the main reason noone s buying now is becuase the socket will be changeing in 2012... this makes me think the days of the intel socket lasting have ended.
m
l
July 5, 2010 6:27:30 AM

Best answer selected by brianfulcher15.
m
l
July 14, 2010 4:12:39 PM

haha. wow. you all have been busy on this thread since i got back from vacation. I, for one, am not buying an i series processor. Matter of fact, I just got a q6600 for super cheap that im gonna juice the **** out of. As for a real answer to your question:

DFI LP UT P45-T3RS LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
m
l
!