3 or 6gb

codnan

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
hi there i am planning to make an i7 build and need some tripple channel ram but was wondering if it is worth getting 6gb or would 3gb be enough for everything? .......the main thing i plan to use the pc for is gaming thanks for all help

Hey :)
These 2 articles are worth of reading
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-module-upgrade,2264-8.html
"We remember days when having multiple Internet Explorer windows open could cause a system to become sluggish. But even that scenario has become unrealistic, as all the configurations we tested in this review supported over 100 open windows simultaneously.

If 3 GB worked so well, why do we continue to recommend 4 GB to 6 GB triple-channel kits for performance systems? Perhaps we’re just a little too forward-looking, but we can certainly imagine scenarios a typical “power user” could encounter where 3 GB might not be enough, even if today’s tests didn’t reveal any of them. For those folks, stepping up to a 64-bit operating system at the same time is undoubtedly the best course of action. "

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/corsair-triple-channel-ddr3,6614.html
"The end result of Corsair’s test was that overall performance increased noticeably when the system was configured with 6 GB versus 3 GB. Most enthusiasts will do anything to squeeze extra performance out of a system, and this looks like a smart move. As 12 GB kits are not readily available at the moment, its hard to know whether performance would change as much as it does when jumping from 3 GB to 6 GB."
So IMO go with 6GB,because there are some games which benefit more than 3GB memory.

I see even Tom's is caught in the triple channel mantra for the 1366. They're only comparing triple channel configurations.

Actually, triple channel doesn't matter. Serves no purpose. Brings no real gain. It's marketing 99%. And I see all the time people recommending 6G of triple channel RAM at the expense of some other better parts (better mobos, better PSUs, etc) on budget limited 1366 builds.

For gaming and whatnot you don't need more than 4G of RAM so don't buy more whether it's a 1366 platform or a 478 platform or whatever. You don't have to choose between 3 or 6G of RAM on a 1366 platform. Get whatever you need.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
The 1366 hardware would be bottlenecked by using dual channel ram. Plus 3GB's is nothing. Here I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit with and Email Client, iTunes, Opera with only 12 tabs..., and background apps like antivirus, firewall, windows gadets...etc and i'm pushing 2GB. 6GB gives you freedom, you don't need to worry about to many applications being open. Moreover a lot apps, once close still leave a bunch of ram used, its buggy. So eventually your 3GB will run out and you'll have to reboot, if you have 6GB you won't need to reboot for weeks.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
^I agree, however if you already payed the 300 for the i7 CPU, just pay some extra for triple channeled ram, it isn't devastatingly expensive, if you can afford an i7, you can manage to get the 6GB.

i agree, the extra what $50 shouldn't be that bad, but i suppose if you only need 4GB it could be a way to save a little bit of money