Loud beep the instant i push the power button

Quantonium

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
For quite a while now, I've been getting a very loud beep the instant i turn on the computer. The screen stays black for maybe 5 seconds, and then it turns on completely normal, and everything works perfectly. It doesn't take away my fear of something being very wrong though..

As far as I can remember, it's beeps gradually came. It didn't beep at all startups.. But the last 4-5 months it has just beeped at all startups. I don't think it is just the normal POST, because, as i said, it's very loud, and also, it lasts for 2 seconds or so. My memory is in slot number 1, 3, and 4 (I had it in 1,2 and 4 before, no difference between the two options).

These are my specs:

- Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
- 3 x Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 2 CL9
- Intel Core i7 920 (It has been overclocked for a while, but turned off now for fear it was causing the beep. No change in beepyness however.)
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 285

In advance, thank you.
~Quantonium

bilbat

Splendid
You don't happen to mention your board rev...
Revision numbers can be found here:

0102kd.jpg

The first thing I'd do is flash the latest BIOS - seems to me there was an issue with some where the Vregs made noise at startup...
For rev 1.6/1.7, latest is FI, here...
For rev 1.0, latest is F11, here...

Another thing to try is disable all alarming on the "PC Health Status" page of the BIOS, in case it's just a fan starting up a bit slowly...

Quantonium

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Got rev 1.0.. I'll try to download, check, and if not, turn off alarming.. I'll post the results in a couple of minutes..

bilbat

Splendid
Try entering the BIOS, on the "Advanced CPU Features" sub-page of the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page, and disable:
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)
C3/C6/C7 State Support
&
CPU EIST Function

...see if that cures it?

Quantonium

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I tried something now.. I turned off the sound in windows before i turned the computer on and off. And now it's gone... Eh? This is weirding me out..

Update: I found out that the sound is coming from the speaker in the front of my case. I hadn't attached the "speaker" cable, for some reason i can't remember, so i thought maybe it could be it's way of saying "connect me!". It wasn't however.. The sound is still there, but now I got the POST sound also! So now its a long beep the second i push the button, and some seconds later, i get the normal post sound.

bilbat

Splendid
My resources for this problem are pretty well exhausted, but you've provided me with my daily dose of amusement, severalfold! The image of the poor speaker sitting there, with its wires disconnected, saying "help me, help me", in a tinny little voice, like the fly in the original Vincent Price version of "The Fly", nearly had me falling off my chair!
[:jaydeejohn:4][:jaydeejohn:4][:jaydeejohn:4]