Sign in with
Your question

5850 16x->16x or 16x->4x Crossfire

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 14, 2009 10:54:20 PM

Through a rather large oversight on my part, I noticed too late that the PCI-E slot on the Asus P6T MB is right between the two 16x slots. This is a problem, because I planned to use that PCI-E slot for a Creative SB X-FI Titanium sound card and the 5850 takes up two slots, thus covering up the PCI-E slot.

So my options at this point are to just use on-board sound (Gross), or put one of the 5850's in a 4x slot.

Which is worse?

I'll be running it on a single display at 2560x1600
December 14, 2009 11:58:40 PM

Use the onboard audio. It's not as gross as you think it is. They've come a long way int eh past 5 years.

You'd easily notice the drop more with the reduced video bandwidth than with any reduced audio clarity.
m
l
December 15, 2009 5:29:27 PM

Cupcakus said:
Through a rather large oversight on my part, I noticed too late that the PCI-E slot on the Asus P6T MB is right between the two 16x slots. This is a problem, because I planned to use that PCI-E slot for a Creative SB X-FI Titanium sound card and the 5850 takes up two slots, thus covering up the PCI-E slot.

So my options at this point are to just use on-board sound (Gross), or put one of the 5850's in a 4x slot.

Which is worse?

I'll be running it on a single display at 2560x1600

I've decided that the P6T is just not worth it, and will return it. I ordered a P6T Deluxe V2 in it's stead, which will include 3 16x slots and puts the PCI-E slot where it belongs, out of the way.
m
l
!