Marvell SATA 6 GB/s problem
I have a Velociraptor (6GB/s) and an ASUS Rampage III Extreme. This board has 2 Marvell (6 GB/s) ports. I am presently running the drive on the Intel (3 GB/s) port in AHCI mode. This is due to neither Marvell ports even recognizing that the drive is even there. They are set to AHCI mode. I did plug a Blu-Ray drive into one of the ports and it was reported and is functional. I assume Marvell has a problem at 6 GB/s on this board.
I had the same problem. I think some thing is wrong with one of the ports.
I got two 6 Gb/s drives and connected both up to the marvell connectors.
Everything seemed Ok, i formatted and restored and image to one drive. the image restore took a long time.
After i rebooted i could see the drives. I copied some data to the blank drive not a problem. But when i called up the drive i restore the image to i found i had issues. It would call up and list files some times but if i tried to copy a file or open a file it would take a long time and then the drive would disappear from windows. A reboot would bring it back or if you powered down the drive and powered it back up it would reappear.
After much troubleshooting, i found that if only one drive is connected it works good. Both drives work if connected only one at a time (so no problem with the drives). It just don't work if i connect both drives at the same time. At the end i should of tried one drive only on the bad connector. That is i think one of the 6Gb/s ports is bad but i am not sure if every time i connected only one drive it was always in the good port or not, but they always worked with only one drive connected the 6Gb/s port.
Do you have "clips" on your SATA 6G connectors? I read somewhere else that the clips may cause one of the connectors to disconnect. But I doubt that, because I have hot-swap bays. So the connectors to the bays stay put for me always, but I still have problems.
When I only have one drive in the hot swap bay, it shows up fine like I mentioned. Either bay can work at either time, but not both! And when I have one drive in the hot swap bay, and put another one of the same drives that would normally be connected to the SATA 6G port into a USB 3.0 enclosure and connect it via USB 3.0, both drives still show up fine in Windows 7!
Some strange happenings here. ASUS hasn't been of help either. I emailed Marvell, but they haven't responded yet.
Yes i was using the cables that came with the motherboard, and they have clips on them.
I think at one point i tried replacing at least one of the cables. I think it was on the drive that did not work, but maybe it was the clip from the first drive that was the problem for the second drive.
I may try that again, but everything is working now when my two 6 Gb/s drives are connected one to the 6 Gb/s port and one to the 3 Gb/s port. Not sure i want to play with this more now as i have lots of data on the large drives and no good back ups.
I hope we find that the Marvell chip is in a socket and can be replaced and it is just the chip that is bad or not seated correctly. I know that is wishful thinking.
Interesting news about the new Intel Sandy Bridge processors:
"Intel is recalling an untold number of high-end desktop PCs because of a design flaw, and expects the problem to cost the company about $1 billion.
The design flaw affects the Intel 6 (formerly codenamed Cougar Point) support chip, which rides alongside the Sandy Bridge processor on motherboards. The flaw could cause performance problems with devices connected via Serial ATA ports, such as hard drives and DVD drives."
MurphW said:I have a Velociraptor (6GB/s) and an ASUS Rampage III Extreme. This board has 2 Marvell (6 GB/s) ports. I am presently running the drive on the Intel (3 GB/s) port in AHCI mode. This is due to neither Marvell ports even recognizing that the drive is even there. They are set to AHCI mode. I did plug a Blu-Ray drive into one of the ports and it was reported and is functional. I assume Marvell has a problem at 6 GB/s on this board.
I did solve the problem. For future reference, I'll relay what was finally successful.
My drive was invisible to both Marvell controllers (on motherboard and HighPoint card). So I forced the motherboard controller (red) into action by plugging in my Blu-Ray writer/reader with the Western Digital (6 GB/s) drive. When it was trying communicate with the player, it found the drive. At that time I keyed CTRL-M, highlighted the drive keyed ENTER and hit "Y" for delete RAID data (metadata) that had found its way on there, F-10 to save. I rebooted to install Win7-64, loaded the 9128 drivers and dealt with the stupid Error: 0x80300001, which should be on some forum, somewhere, and established the proper boot area. I then "Recovered" the drive from a backup that had all the proper drivers in it. And here I am.