I need help identifying the PC model of this Vaio

fullmetal297

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
I bought a used Vaio from a my cousin for my sister and I need to update the bios. The problem is that my cousin remove all the stickers and threw out the original box (idiot).

The front of the PC looks like this:
vaio04.png

The system on my steam goes as follows:
Processor Information:
Vendor: GenuineIntel
Speed: 2200 Mhz
2 logical processors
2 physical processors
HyperThreading: Unsupported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Unsupported
SSE41: Unsupported
SSE42: Unsupported

Network Information:
Network Speed:

Windows Version:
Windows XP (32 bit)
NTFS: Supported

Video Card:
Driver: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
DirectX Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.10.9371
DirectX Driver Version: 6.14.10.9371
Driver Date: 22 Oct 2006
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
VendorID: 0x10de
DeviceID: 0x1d5
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
No SLI or Crossfire Detected
Primary Display Resolution: 1152 x 864
Desktop Resolution: 1152 x 864
Primary Display Size: 11.02" x 8.27" (13.78" diag)
28.0cm x 21.0cm (35.0cm diag)
Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
Primary VRAM: 512 MB
Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x

Open the case and look on the MOBO for the model # - or any numbers listed on it - since the BIOS you need will depend on the MOBO that is used in the system ! Once you have those numbers go to Sony's website and do a search using those numbers and see if anything comes up.

fullmetal297

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009

I found the motherboard model and its a Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2C v1. Is it safe to install the bios file from the gigabyte website?

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=BIOS&FileID=15065

Depends on what changes SONY made to it - sometimes they will run fine sometimes there are changes made to the board that need the specific SONY bios - best bet would be to try and find a BIOS on sony's site for it (if you can't then you could try the Gigabyte one - just be sure to save the original bios to revert to if something goes wrong or doesn't work afterwards.

Try going here while on that system and have it auto detect the model and see if they have a newer BIOS first

THen I'd give the Gigabyte BIOS a try (since that is the model # listed on the MOBO it should work fine - just make a copy of the original BIOS first so you can revert if something doesn't work correctly)