Sign in with
Your question

Need help choosing motherboard :(

Last response: in Motherboards
July 1, 2010 4:23:55 PM

Hi guys, im in a bit a pickle here. I need a new motherboard quickly, im wanting to purchase it today really, but im stuck, i have a list of MUST's and MUST NOT's, quite a lengthy list too. Ive been looking around but im not up-to-date with newer features.....

MUST's
AM2/AM2+ with AM3 compatibility.
AMD chipset but open to debate.
Be capable of unlocking working CPU cores.
Be less than £80GBP which is around 110USD MAYBE a little more.
Prefferably black or blue in colour but again, open to debate.
Absolutly must have 4 DDR2 slots (support for at least PC2-6400 800MHz)
Prefferably onboard graphics so i have more time to accumulate funds for a relatively high spec video card
Would like some OC potential.

MUST NOT's
AM3 only board
DDR3 Memory
Absolutly no boards of yellow/pale green/orange colour.
Absolutly not Micro-ATX
Not too bothered about crossfire or anything but if its on the board thats a bonus, im not a gamer.
No Nvidia chipsets but again, open to debate....Do decent Nvidia chipsets exsist? Serious question.

Prefferred manufacturers: Gigabyte, MSI, Asus, ECS, Biostar etc. Slightly intrigued by the ECS Black series but not sure if it fits a lot of my criteria....

Now i know this is being really picky and im unlikely to find one that fits this criteria 100% but as close as possible would be great.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards.

More about : choosing motherboard

a c 435 V Motherboard
July 1, 2010 4:34:07 PM

Not many atx boards have onboard video. I suggest a low end video card if you must have atx for extra pci slots. If you don't need the extra pci slots or crossfire/sli support, then the 785 chipset is what I would get with 4 ram slots. Those are micro atx. Newegg has the Asus M4A785-M for $69.99 w/free shipping. They also have the Asus M4A77D full size atx for $67.98 shipped after rebate. With this board, you'll need a video card. I suggest the 4670 chipset until you have more funds for a better card.
a b V Motherboard
July 1, 2010 5:14:24 PM

Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H, GA-MA790GP-UD3H, GA-MA790GP-UD4H, etc.
Related resources
July 1, 2010 5:36:59 PM

Thanks for your time guys, and for the suggestions. For the look im going for the board must be full atx so it looks like im gunna buy a middle range video card im thinking this....o1die suggested the 4670 chipset so im thinking about this....

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/190752?utm_source=google&...

Any good? It wont be used much for gaming but rather more of a HTPC sort of thing, HD video and a lot of video editing and some image rendering.

On the motherboard issue i am liking the look of the GA-MA770-UD3. Would this definatly support the unlocking of (working) locked cores? and do you think this motherboard and video card combo are decent enough for the setup im looking to build? You probably guessed i was looking to unlock cores by now, the cpu is a X2 5000+ with the deneb core. If not i shall have to splash a little extra cash and buy a real quad. Thanks again.
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 1, 2010 11:39:06 PM

I would forget about unlocking cores, and get a propus quad core for a few dollars more. Make sure your motherboard choice has all the ports you want for an htpc setup, including an hdmi port or others you may use. I don't recommend flashing the bios unless you absolutely have to. Try the original one first for awhile.
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2010 2:20:27 AM

The GA-MA770-UD3 rev1.0 and with SB700 can't unlock cores.

The GA-MA770-UD3 rev2.0 and 2.1 with SB710 have ACC and can unlock.

You can also go for a SB750 one.
!