Your question

Could someone help me troubleshoot my new bought PC

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
December 15, 2009 2:36:27 AM

I recently bought parts to a PC. Wehn i started to run it i encounterd probelms. Could anyone help me troubleshoot, I would aprechiate it.

This is the probelms:
- Freezes - 3 times - random ocurance
- Freezes - 5 times - during gameplay
- graphical glitch - 2 times - screen goes into different colours upon game launch
- Graphical Glitch - 1 time - screen turns into a green vertical striped walpapper lookalike
- sound static - always - increases during gameplay
- sound lagg - ocuring before a game freeze
- error messages - 2 times - something like "the driver is not working, turnign off driver" and the screen goes black and then returns to normal
- Computer Lagg - 6 time - laggs when alt tabbing sometimes, usally ends in me restarting my PC to fix it.

My computer
Power Supply: Corsair TX650W
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 - ATX - iP55
CPU: Intel Core i5 i5-750 / 2.66 GHz processor
Ram: 2x OCZ Gold XTC Dual Channel - 4 GB
Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD5850 HDMI DisplayPort Dual-DVI 1GB
HDD: Samsung EcoGreen F2 HD154UI 32MB 1.5TB
DVD: Sony DVD Recorder 24x SATA RAM Internal Black Bulk
Case: Antec P18

I would aprechiate it alot if one of you could take some time to help me with these probelms.

If you require direct communication, you may add me on MSN or E-Mail:
fre_ber24@hotmail.com

More about : troubleshoot bought

December 15, 2009 2:58:11 AM

To start with, I would update your bios and do a clean install of the new cats 9.11 you can try driver sweeper to get rid of the old GPU drivers.

December 17, 2009 3:11:45 AM

Took some time to install the BIOS due to the instalation file werent compadable with my windows so i had to contact gigabyte for help.

im now going to install driver sweeper and reintall 9.11
Related resources
December 17, 2009 3:41:40 AM

Sounds good post back with some more info
December 17, 2009 4:38:14 AM

Sounds like a possible RAM problem. Have you tried a single stick of RAM? Have you manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the recommended specs in the BIOS? Have you run Memtest86+ overnight to test for RAM errors?
December 17, 2009 5:09:11 AM

Niklas_13 said:
Sounds good post back with some more info

allright, bios and ATI updated. so far its have not been that long time so i been able to evaluate it.

To shortstuff:
i have not changed any ram settings in BIOS noir tried only one stick. the only things i done was assembling the parts i bought and installed the drivers that came with the pices.

do you 2 think i should try with only one ram stick?
December 17, 2009 5:29:40 AM

I absolutely think you should try with a single stick of RAM installed. Having four sticks of RAM is hard on your motherboard and generally requires voltages to be bumped up a bit for stability. You should always manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage in the BIOS if you want your RAM to run correctly. Which exact OCZ Gold XTC RAM kit did you get? Your RAM will most likely not run correctly with "Auto" setting for the RAM in the BIOS.
December 17, 2009 12:46:42 PM

I like to add a correction to my ram spec:
2x OCZ Gold XTC Dual Channel - 2 GB (total 4 GB) DIMM 240-pin - DDR3.

so its a total of only 2 sticks which totally make it 4 GB. sorry if i confused anyone.
and if you belive i do have the same error when it comes to ram, i do not really know how or what values i should set it for, but i assume you set it in BIOS?
December 17, 2009 4:02:03 PM

There was a reason I asked which EXACT RAM kit you got. Your description is not descriptive enough. All four of these RAM kits match your description:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

The RAM will have a sticker on the side that lists the correct speed/timings/voltage. Those are the values you need to manually set in the BIOS. You also need to run Memtest86+ overnight to check for faulty RAM.
December 20, 2009 11:33:00 PM

this is what it says on the label of the ram:

Quote:

PC3 128000 8-8-8-@1.7v
2GB
PN OCZ3G16004GK

so i assume it is the product in the top of the page in the link you provided. how ever the voltage does not correspond.

I were in bios and tried to see if it was obvious how to set the ram but it were complecating so i didnt want to change anything without beeing sure.

I found where you set it tho (i belive)

these were the things you could change:

-system memory multiplier (spd) "allows you to set the system memory multiplier. auto sets memory multiplier according to memory SPD data" auto, 6.0, 8.0 and 10.0 (defult: auto)
-memory frequency (mhz) "the first memory frequency value is the normal operating frequency of the memory beeing used: the second is the memory frequency that is automaticaly adjusted according to the BCLK Frequency (mhz) and system memory multiplier settings (defult: 1066 and 1066)
-preformance enhance "allows the system to operate at three different preformance levels" Standard, turbo and extreme (defult:turbo)
-dram timing selectable (spd) "quick and expert allows the channel interleaving and rank interleaving to be configurable" auto, quick and expert (defult: auto) (quick and experts unlock the ability to change channel and rank interleave)
-channel interleaving auto, 1,2,3,4,5,6 (defult auto)
-rank interleaving auto, 1,2,3,4 (defult auto)

i dont know what to set here. i quoted wat it says in my manual so i hope it will work for you to understand.
December 21, 2009 5:01:57 PM

Based on the model number, this is your RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That RAM is a poor choice for your system. The maximum RAM voltage supported by the Intel i5 and i7 chips is 1.65v. Anything above that voltage will damage the RAM controller integrated into your CPU. Your RAM is rated at 1.9v. You'll have to either run your RAM under its rated speed or with loose timings at 1.65v. You'll never get that RAM running at 1600MHz on your system. I'm not sure what to tell you since that RAM is not designed to run on your system. You could try manually running the RAM at 1066MHz or 1333MHz, but you'll have to play around with the timings to see what's stable.
December 21, 2009 5:48:02 PM

okay. do you think this is the cause of all of my errors?
and could you help me pick a better pair, please?
December 21, 2009 6:51:06 PM
December 21, 2009 11:55:59 PM

I'm running one of the recommendations shortstuff listed in their list above (I also listed below) in my new i7-860 + Biostar TX5E CFX/SLI set-up. Works great, the only complaint I have is due to their height and the position of my CPU cooler, it barely clears the CPU cooler. Although, I think I'd run into this with many RAM options...

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM - Retail $104.99
!