Compaq A900 Memory Upgrade Trouble

epitremmor

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Hello, my name is Tom. I just heard from crucial that the Compaq Presario A900 tops out at 2GB of memory. Can anyone confirm this? I can't find anything that says otherwise.

epitremmor

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I ordered 2 (2GB) sticks from them that said they were compatible. However upon installation (which in the past.....for me anyway.....has been a very easy install) my notebook will not boot. I get the blue screen of death. I just called Crucial and now they tell me my notebooks max memoty is 2GB.

Any info on this would be awesome. THanks!

krylos2

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Yes, that's true. I have been trying to downgrade my A916NR to XP all week and I found a lot of info about it, while trying to harvest XP drivers for the $#%! Vista machine.
It definitely tops at 2GB.

From the specs on Compaq (HP) website it says "Memory: Up to 2GB DDR2". They don't bother telling you the speed. Its a very high level "Spec" view.
The link is http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01296312&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3646594

Here, they at least give you the speed. From the (Downloadable) User Manual it states:
Memory
2 customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots
Supports dual-channel memory
Supports up to 2 GB of system RAM
PC2-5300, 667-MHz, DDR2

It is good to know what would happen if I over-upgaded the memory. But, there really is no solution to your problem, unfortunately. The vendor should, however, exchange the memory for you.
I just ran across your post looking for XP Driver Support so I'll probably not be back here to followup. Good luck.

Latest posts