Sign in with
Your question

$1,000 i7 64bit System...Blu-Ray, Solidworks

Last response: in Systems
December 15, 2009 3:04:22 AM

Hey! This is my first computer build and have a few questions on this combination.

I'm looking to make this like a computer/TV for my room as well as run my school CAD programs (Mech. Eng. UF Go Gators!!). I really want the Blu-Ray burner and a nice video card to maybe get into some gaming. Also, I think I will need the i7 processor to keep up with the demands of the CAD programs (Solidworks, Autodesk, etc...) and to have something to upgrade/overclock later. I do have a fairly nice laptop with a 1.5TB ext so storage isnt a big issue. This is the combo I kinda decided on after reading reviews and other posts. Let me know what you think and any suggestions are appreciated!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Around the beginning of the year

BUDGET RANGE: $1,000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Watch/Burn Blu-Ray/DVD, Solidworks, Gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor (22" LCD)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: anything...been looking at newegg and tigerdirect mostly

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES:

Apevia Black/Black X-Plorer ATX Mid-Tower Case - $59.99

Kingwin Mach 1
750W PSU - $89.99

[url = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134829]Kingston DDR3 Tri Channel 1066MHz 6GB RAM - $154.99[/url]

Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz - $279.99

EVGA P55 SLI Motherboard - $159.99

LG Black 8X BD-R - $149.99

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM - $39.39

XFX Radeon HD 5750 Video Card 1GB - $139.99

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe later down the line

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe later down the line

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080, 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'm having trouble deciding on a Motherboard/Video Card/RAM combo... I'm not sure how what is neccessary for my application. I do want an i7 (of some sort), Blu-Ray burner, and 6GB RAM. I am buying a 22" monitor to go along with this and would also like to use the HDMI setup and separate speakers.

PS Also not sure about the PSU either... Is that enough wattage?
December 15, 2009 3:39:45 AM

I would go a different direction, because of what your running. Go amd 3.4 quad core for way less. get an am3 board. and spend your extra money on SSD and Graphics. You would reep from the benefits of a SSD, especially running a demanding app such as sw. Your can still overclock and run crossfire. Then you could also have a 24" monitor with the left overs.
m
l
December 15, 2009 3:42:02 AM

You dont run that HD card if your doing cad. They are not set up for that. You will regret it. You would need 2 separate cards if you want to game and cad on the same pc.
m
l
December 16, 2009 3:37:59 AM

Alright.... So could anyone suggest a more appropriate rig. I have a Dell Latitude D830 Core2 Duo 2.2ghz 2GB RAM and Solidworks runs pretty well on that (smaller assemblies and such tho). I could stick with the laptop for solidworks and use this new desktop for movies/games.

So now i guess the question is for blu-ray watching/burning and moderate gaming, what would be a good combo for around $1,000

Would need:

Case (Cool Looking)
PSU
Motherboard
Processor
RAM (at least 6GB)
HDD (SSD?)
Video Card
Blu-Ray Burner (Reliable)
20"-26" Monitor (High Res, HDMI)
Windows OS (64 bit preferably)

And if this computer is faster, more RAM and a better video card (small nVidia on the laptop)...wouldn't it be better than the laptop anyway? Even tho its not a workstation card?
m
l
!