How to get the Intel’s Performance Evaluation and Analysis Kit (IPEAK)

joylight

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Hello,
Does anybody know how to get the Intel’s Performance Evaluation and Analysis Kit (IPEAK)? I usually see the tom's hardware use this software to test the SSD.

Solution

Hi Joyfligh

I'm in the same situation as you, Trying to find which software was used in the two articles by Andrew Ku to generate the trace files of games he tracing.

I posted a question on a recent article and was told that "Ipeak version "v5.2" and that is support x64. Don't know if this a private custom build but from google search's this product does not exist.

I know of a few ways that this could be accomplished, but I want to know how Andrew Ku does it.

1. Use a commercial program : www.hyperio.com (hIOmon), this can export trace data to an XML...

joylight

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
COLGeek,

Thanks.

But tom's hardware has used the IPEAK to test the SSD recently. Could tom's hardware release a link to download this software if there is no property issue?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It appears that Intel discontinued support for IPEAK GPT quite some time ago. They do now offer a free tool that you might find useful:

Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers 4.2

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/vcsource-tools-intel-gpa/

Even if a tester at Tom's has IPEAK, I am not sure they can send to you. What are you trying to test? I am sure other equally (if not better) tools are available.

joylight

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
COLGeek,

Thanks.

I need the software which could record the block size, read/write mode (random/sequential) and read/write frequency for the hard disk or SSD. In a word, trace all the operation for the SSD. The difficulty is all the read and write operation were buffered or packaged by the windows OS and SQL server. So the record software much could detect the very low level operation. I only know IPEAK could do this kind of work.

Do you have any other suggestion?

watts_354

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

Hi Joyfligh

I'm in the same situation as you, Trying to find which software was used in the two articles by Andrew Ku to generate the trace files of games he tracing.

I posted a question on a recent article and was told that "Ipeak version "v5.2" and that is support x64. Don't know if this a private custom build but from google search's this product does not exist.

I know of a few ways that this could be accomplished, but I want to know how Andrew Ku does it.

1. Use a commercial program : www.hyperio.com (hIOmon), this can export trace data to an XML format that can be read by another Intel tool the "NAS Performance Toolkit". The Intel NASPT tool does have not a kernal drive to take traces as the older IPEAK did.

2. Use Procmon.exe from systinternals, capture a trace, convert with this program http://code.google.com/p/procmontonasptconverter/ to the XML format viewable by the Intel NASPT FS_Analyze.exe tool.

3. Use the Windows Performance analysis tool, xperf.exe to capture a kernal trace of disk_IO. (idea from this site http://sqlvelocity.typepad.com/blog/. The only problem with this is you'd have to figure out how to graph the data in Excel. I'm trying to find a filter that would convert the xperf trace output xml format to the XML format used by the NSAPT FS_Analyze.exe tool. That would very nice.

Naim

Solution