Sony Vaio computer shuts off for no reason

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
July 7, 2004 12:50:48 AM

Here is a Sony Vaio computer PGC-GRZ610 that just keeps shutting off
for no reason whatsoever. It runs fine initially but after it is
running for sometime, it shuts off. It always happens while I'm
processing something not while it's idle. At least I believe that is
the case.

Unfortunately, there is no battery for this system, just an ac
adapter. Could that be the problem?

Or is the problem a faulty motherboard?

Any advice is appreciated. Josh .... please email me at:

snapchar@snapcharlie.com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 7, 2004 4:04:47 AM

Josh wrote:
> Here is a Sony Vaio computer PGC-GRZ610 that just keeps shutting off
> for no reason whatsoever. It runs fine initially but after it is
> running for sometime, it shuts off. It always happens while I'm
> processing something not while it's idle. At least I believe that is
> the case.
>
> Unfortunately, there is no battery for this system, just an ac
> adapter. Could that be the problem?
>
> Or is the problem a faulty motherboard?
>

> Any advice is appreciated. Josh .... please email me at:
>
> snapchar@snapcharlie.com

With a can of dust cleaner, available at any computer store, blow back
through the *exhaust ports* to remove dust from the heat exchanger on
the cooling pipes. Do this thoroughly. You should see an immediate
improvement. The next step is to find out how to open the case, remove
the keyboard, remove the shielding, and have a good look into the heat
exchanger inlet. Many of these laptops accumulate balls of fibers or
even a mat of fibers covering the heat exchanger inlet, on the outlet of
the CPU fan, and this *must* be removed.

Go to this site for model-specific help
http://p200.ezboard.com/bunofficialsony Check the hardware faqs and the
notebook hardware forums.