Sign in with
Your question

Fragmented memory will not defrag

Last response: in Storage
November 22, 2011 2:35:50 PM

i have a problem with my hard drive. one day it had 32gb used, then frag filled the entire thing in one day to 140gb used. i tell it to defrag, but it says it hasnt got enough memory and to delete some files and retry. problem is that i have nothing left to delete that is not necessary. how do fix it?
a b } Memory
a c 375 G Storage
November 22, 2011 4:38:56 PM

It's impossible to defrag without the necessary free space on the drive. you will need to either start deleting files (use disk cleanup as a start), or use a usb flash drive or an external hard drive to move some of your files off the drive you are trying to defrag.

Also, be sure your trash bin is empty and disk cleanup can remove all but the last restore point for you.
m
l
November 25, 2011 7:30:03 PM

i moved all of my files, and all that is left is program files. but only 2% of my memory is free. the ENTIRE rest of my hard drive is frag memory. how do i get rid of it? i am pretty much screwed at this point
m
l
Related resources
November 25, 2011 7:33:45 PM

additional info:
the folder with all of the fragmented memory is documents and settings. 111gb is taken up in that folder alone. when i enter the folde and check the sizes of the folders immediately within the heirarchy, they are all normal size. i go up one level and it reads as 111 gb.
m
l
November 25, 2011 8:18:34 PM

fixed it. i recently installed Hamachi, and the notepad file crash.log was 114gb.... wow. notepad refused to open it it was too large.
m
l
!