Old CPU on win7 64bit?? Help!

Minthe

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
I have an older computer and I know of all the driver/software issues that can come from going from 32bit to 64bit OS w/ same hardware, but I was wondering if my old Athlon XP 2500+ socket-a processor would be compatable and work at ALL on the new 64bit Windows 7?? I don't care so much if there is some performance issues, I just want to know will it boot/install at all? heh Thanks!

Solution
except this isn't a new cpu, its an Atlon XP

i don't think the board matters, except that it supports a 64bit cpu which your socket (A) doesn't support any

S754 was the earliest socket to support Athlon 64's and LGA775 with the P4 was the earliest on the intel side

Minthe

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Blah. What I thought, just wasn't 100% sure. Soooo.... if that is the case, I may just get the 32bit version of win7.

Another question, eventually I will replace my current mobo and cpu with newer ones. Since I have a 32bit os, should I just get a 64bit cpu in case I ever get a 64bit os? And if I get a mobo that I know works with w/e 32bit cpu I buy, if I decide to then buy a 64bit cpu, would it work in that same mobo or does it require a seperate mobo???

Minthe

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Thanks, but that isn't exactly relevant. I wanted to know if the a MOBO had anything specific about it that makes it only work with 64bit cpus or 32bit cpus or if it even matters.

except this isn't a new cpu, its an Atlon XP

i don't think the board matters, except that it supports a 64bit cpu which your socket (A) doesn't support any

S754 was the earliest socket to support Athlon 64's and LGA775 with the P4 was the earliest on the intel side

Solution

Minthe

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Ok, so basically it is a socket issue. I just wasn't sure if one mobo could handle 64bit and another could not, but I am assuming that whether or not a mobo can support 64bit is dependant on the socket type that the mobo allows and if there are 64bit cpus for said socket type. Ok, thanks a bunch!

windows7guy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Hello Minthe,

Just a bit of FYI to understand the issues with 32-bit and 64-bit OS upgrades and later options that may or may not be available to you later:
When upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 you must upgrade the version currently installed within Windows Vista to the corresponding version in Windows 7. I.E. Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium; Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional; and Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate. You also cannot upgrade a 32-bit operating system to 64-bit -- to migrate from 32-bit to 64-bit will require a custom install.

Additionally, you will not be able to "upgrade" from a 32-bit version of Windows 7 to 64-bit -- the architecture between the two is too drastically different to allow such a change. To learn more about the differences between a 32-bit operating system and 64-bit please go to the following link: http://bit.ly/2aT3xP

Also check the Windows 7 Compatibility site: (There you will find out about hardware and software compatibilty.)
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/en-us/default.aspx
There is a pulldown from which you can choose "hardware" and "software".

I hope that helps you out!

You can also find lots of information on Windows 7 here in our Springboard website:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx

Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

Dear Windows7Guy,

I originally tried to navigate the Windows website in order to try to determine which CPU's are supported under 32-bit & 64-bit architecture, however, i was unable to find such a webpage.

I think it would be wise to have an "Operating System CPU support" page that lists all CPU's for the past 5 years and which ones are supported by 32-bit (all of them) and which are supported by 64-bit.

Just my opinion, but i'm sure most would agree with me.

Jon-Paul