Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Building new PC. Can't find a heatsink.

Last response: in Overclocking
June 14, 2012 7:15:07 PM

I am building a new PC and the only thing I am missing is a heatsink and I can't find one. I'm not sure if it will be necessary with the case I am getting.

Build: http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?...

More about : building find heatsink

a c 190 K Overclocking
June 14, 2012 7:20:49 PM

Theres a heatsink in the processor box, do you require an aftermarket one like the Noctua dh14?
are you going to be overclocking at all?
Moto
m
l
June 14, 2012 7:24:24 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Theres a heatsink in the processor box, do you require an aftermarket one like the Noctua dh14?
are you going to be overclocking at all?
Moto

I might later if it is necessary. But I don't think I really need to overclock anything until it's needed to play later games on high and such.
m
l
Related resources
a c 190 K Overclocking
June 14, 2012 7:31:42 PM

Just install the standard heatsink and fan for now then, and maybe research the latest coolers when you do want to O/c later on :) 
Moto
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 14, 2012 8:03:45 PM

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...

*If you haven't ordered yet you may wish to compare the cost of building your computer at NCIX instead.

I'm not sure how much shipping adds up but at Newegg but at NCIX it was very reasonable and the prices look similar. Check the sales too.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 14, 2012 8:24:35 PM

photonboy said:
I should add that I'd recommend the i5-3570K which is slightly better than the 2500K, cheaper, and uses less power. It's the new CPU of choice for most gamers.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-37...

tbh, the 2500k and teh 3570k are about the same, at stock the ivy bridge line is better but the sandy bridge line gains a higher clock rate than the ivy bridge can go up to due to the ivy bridge reaction to overclocking vs temperature.
m
l
June 16, 2012 12:01:37 AM

I'm also not sure, but once I get my computer, where am I supposed to install the heatsink and put the thermal paste? Also, on the THOR v2 you can replace the side fan with 4 120mm fans. Is it worth it?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 16, 2012 12:07:02 AM

Aleonris said:
I'm also not sure, but once I get my computer, where am I supposed to install the heatsink and put the thermal paste? Also, on the THOR v2 you can replace the side fan with 4 120mm fans. Is it worth it?

all fans are replaceable, being worth it is up to you.

for the heatsink, you can go online and look at a video to instal it. it probably exists. as for thermal paste, you have two options. you either install it onto the cpu or whatever part you want it applied on directly, or you spread it on the heatsink that is touching the cpu(not the copper pipes, but its not the end of the world if it touches the copper pipes)
m
l

Best solution

a c 190 K Overclocking
June 16, 2012 8:02:34 AM

The stock heatsink will have a little grey/silver square already on it, so, you can install it using that and no need to worry about thermal paste application or you can clean that off, get a good aftermarket paste and then,
just google heatsink/thermal paste installation or hit youtube, there are tons of videos out there,
the guide at the top of homebuild section will also have some pictures/links that will help
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/288241-13-read-post...
sections three and four, bookmark them before you get your gear in hand, :) 
for the sidefans, its going to be a case of measuring temps once thew rigs built and in place, then swap out for the alternate configuration and measure the difference, only with information can you say which is best, as every set up, room, and situation is different,
a single larger sidefan will be quieter at slower speeds, but you may want the focussed direction that 4x120's gives you, and be willing to bear the cost in noise levels,
Moto
June 18, 2012 8:01:51 AM

Best answer selected by Aleonris.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
June 18, 2012 8:33:38 AM

Thank you for B.A. man, glad to help
Moto
m
l
!