Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Intel 32nm or AMD 32nm what should I get confused?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 23, 2010 7:13:19 PM

Hi I was planning to make a new computer the very first time. I was thinking to go with EVGA X58 Classified MB, Intel i7-920 2.66Ghz, 1200Watt power supply etc etc.... but now there are new processors with the 32nm tech instead of the 45nm. I am very confused should I wait or just make one right now. The reason I ask its because I want my computer to last at least 3-years by upgrading RAM, Videocard etc etc...may be 4-5years. I hear that AMD is also launching the new 32nm line very soon plz help. Should I wait or go ahead with the 45nm tecn processor.
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2010 7:21:49 PM

AMD 32nm won't be available for quite a while. I wouldn't wait for it.
m
0
l
February 23, 2010 7:35:23 PM

Intel doesn't have any 32nm quads, and won't it seems till sandy bridge. And AMDs 32nm chips are coming in q4. For a source look for a thread i made called future arch's thread or something like that. It has links to info about both BD and SB.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 129 à CPUs
February 23, 2010 7:52:37 PM

Why on earth would you need a 1200W PSU??? If you're going to run a pair of GPUs in Crossfire or SLI, 850W is all you'd need; possibly less.

Running flat out, even at 87% efficiency, that's still 1379W from the wall. Many hair dryers and microwaves don't pull that much juice...
m
0
l
February 23, 2010 8:30:32 PM

Onus said:
Why on earth would you need a 1200W PSU??? If you're going to run a pair of GPUs in Crossfire or SLI, 850W is all you'd need; possibly less.

Running flat out, even at 87% efficiency, that's still 1379W from the wall. Many hair dryers and microwaves don't pull that much juice...



Well I was thinking the Nvidia GF100 series will be out in a month or two. And if they are good I will run that in SLI and if not then the new ATI 5970 in crossfire.
m
0
l
February 23, 2010 8:35:13 PM

Quote:
Correct. For some reason i was thinking the updated Quad's with 12 megs of L3 were going to be 32nm.


I was reading your computer specs you have the latest Intel Gulftown the 32nm 6-core processor. Where on earth you got your hands on that???
m
0
l
February 23, 2010 9:57:51 PM

mayu said:
Well I was thinking the Nvidia GF100 series will be out in a month or two. And if they are good I will run that in SLI and if not then the new ATI 5970 in crossfire.


Well Nvidia did say you need a special case with special cooling to run Fermi cards in SLI since they apparently run very hot.
m
0
l
a c 155 à CPUs
February 23, 2010 10:43:48 PM

March 26th for FERMI.

Hopefully we'll see the "Optimus" process of switching to an onboard GPU when the addon cards aren't needed. Currently a new notebook thing but I definitely expect to see that on desktops but it'll be several months after the Fermi launch at least.

I'm personally not in a huge rush so I'll wait for this to come out.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2010 10:57:19 PM

Yields ≠ performance.
m
0
l
a c 131 à CPUs
February 23, 2010 11:02:17 PM

mayu said:
Well I was thinking the Nvidia GF100 series will be out in a month or two. And if they are good I will run that in SLI and if not then the new ATI 5970 in crossfire.

A single radeon 5970 only draws 294W. Even if you crossfire two of them, taking into account how much good quality power supplies have on the +12V rails, there is no way you would need a 1200W PSU. I have enough power on my OCZ 600W PSU to run a 5970 and core i7 if I wanted. There is no way you would need more than 800W on the +12V rails if you had 2 5970s and a core i7 extreme overclocked.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2010 11:48:15 PM

Quote:
Are there any solid benchmarks out for fermi yet? Then there's the issue on how nvidia will price them. Nvidia is notoriously overpriced compared to ATI and i don't see that trend diminishing.

No solid benchmarks, no. I would tend to agree with you based on history, but I won't completely write off a product until I've at least seen some official benchmarks and prices.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2010 1:54:23 AM

yannifb said:
Intel doesn't have any 32nm quads, and won't it seems till sandy bridge. And AMDs 32nm chips are coming in q4. For a source look for a thread i made called future arch's thread or something like that. It has links to info about both BD and SB.



If AMD 32nm launches this year, and I dont mean paper launch, I will leave this forum and never return.

In other words that is NOT going to happen.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2010 2:01:32 AM

Psycho if you really have a gulftown where are the benchmarks?
m
0
l
February 24, 2010 4:36:08 AM

Best answer selected by mayu.
m
0
l
February 24, 2010 4:53:56 AM

BadTrip said:
If AMD 32nm launches this year, and I dont mean paper launch, I will leave this forum and never return.

In other words that is NOT going to happen.


In all probability, you are right, but let's not rule out a, '...ahead of shedule...' things, later this year. :)  But I agree with you that it's unlikly this year, as it kind of is expected to be the successor to the 880G IGP, which is not out yet. The 980GX IGP chipset is coming out next week.
m
0
l
!