Sign in with
Your question

Contributing factors when deciding between H100 or CM 212 EVO

Last response: in Overclocking
June 14, 2012 7:51:19 PM

Hey guys, what are things to consider when deciding between the two types of cooling?
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 14, 2012 7:58:25 PM

It depends on what questions you need to have answered. Otherwise, this is a pretty vague question.
m
l
June 14, 2012 8:05:08 PM

-I understand idle temps, there may be little difference between air and liquid, but which one can maintain a cooler temp when gaming for 6+ hours?

-Aesthetics; if I have a window on my tower, does closed loop look sleeker and better maintained?

-Dust; will there be less dust build-up with liquid cooling?

-Risk; what are the chances of a closed-loop springing a leak or drying out?

-If I am not overclocking the CPU or GPU, is there any reason to even have extra cooling?
m
l
Related resources
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 14, 2012 8:11:25 PM

Quote:
-I understand idle temps, there may be little difference between air and liquid, but which one can maintain a cooler temp when gaming for 6+ hours?

Either, it really just depends on your ambient room temps, case airflow and choice of cooler.

-Aesthetics; if I have a window on my tower, does closed loop look sleeker and better maintained?

This is a matter of preference for most people, so you would need to determine this

-Dust; will there be less dust build-up with liquid cooling?

This depends, you can also have dust buildup with normal air coolers as well. Anytime a fan is moving air, dust has the ability to accumulate

-Risk; what are the chances of a closed-loop springing a leak or drying out?

Ideally never. They are designed to be sealed, hence the term 'closed-loop'. If you develop a leak, you should immediately contact the manufacturer for an RMA replacement. If you have a custom loop, all of these factors are based upon how well you assemble the loop...if you take your time and do it right, you shouldn't have any issues.

-If I am not overclocking the CPU or GPU, is there any reason to even have extra cooling?

Most people will tell you no. I have my CPU and GPUs at stock for now, but I watercool all 3. I do it mostly as a hobby and for fun, but it's something that differs from person to person. You can overclock CPUs and GPUs without using watercooling and using normal air coolers.
m
l
June 14, 2012 9:22:55 PM

Does the H100 help cool the entire computer, or JUST the CPU? Also, would an air CPU do a better job at (not so much cooling the CPU specifically) cooling the computer as a whole?
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 14, 2012 9:24:34 PM

It really depends on how you have each setup and your overall case airflow design.
m
l
June 14, 2012 9:30:19 PM

Well, as of right now, I am assuming I will be feeding the Cooler Master HAF X, with the radiator at the top (it seems to be the most popular placement of the H100). I think it requires extra modification for a push/pull design, and to be honest, I don't think I am too worried about incorporating a push/pull flow.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 14, 2012 9:40:27 PM

Push/pull would require you to purchase 2 additional fans. I know that personally I wouldn't purchase a $115 cooler and then pay an additional $2 in fans for the same total price as some entry level watercooling kits that would perform better.
m
l
June 14, 2012 9:46:42 PM

Well, I am having AVA build my rig, and their custom cooling package starts at about $300+. I have weighed the options, and don't feel comfortable build a ~$2,000 rig as my first machine. Therefore, I'm weighing my options between a closed loop or going air, while keeping it semi-future proof and expected heating issues down the road.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 14, 2012 10:06:21 PM

What is AVA?
m
l
June 14, 2012 10:27:36 PM

AVADirect.com, it's a custom build website that gives you a bigger selection of components than, say, ibuypower or cyberpowerpc.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 14, 2012 10:38:41 PM

For $300 you could build a very solid CPU cooling loop...actually for around $250. Are you getting it from them due to convenience or have you not built a PC before? You can save yourself a hefty sum of cash if you built your own.
m
l
June 14, 2012 11:44:03 PM

Well, both, convenience and because I have never built my own machine before. I have read some pretty intimidating horrow stories on Newegg about the Corsair 100; almost enough to make me settle on air cooling. In that case, is there any case that undoubtedly cools better than another with air? I've been looking into the HAF X and Raven RV02
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 15, 2012 12:35:07 AM

I take Newegg reviews with a gain of salt. When it comes to closed loop coolers like this, most people using them believe they are far better than they actually are and are quite opinionated about it.
m
l
June 15, 2012 12:49:31 AM

It sounds like most people haven't complained about performance, but moreso about product defects.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 15, 2012 2:09:24 AM

Most don't necessarily complain about performance (most actually think it's better than it really is) but issues with airlocks and pump issues are very common. Airlocks are easy to address yourself while any pump or manufacturing defects require an RMA.
m
l
June 15, 2012 11:52:38 AM

I still think I will decide to stick with an air cooler, lol. With an i5-3570k, would a Noctua 14 be overkill? Or is there something either cheaper or better I should look into?
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
June 15, 2012 2:08:20 PM

This is how you do it.

Stick with 212 EVO, see how you like the performance. Really, you shouldn't have to overclock above 4.5 on the 3570K. Then, if you feel like you want more performance, or lower temps wait a bit and move over to watercooling. This is how I'm doing it, I currently am using a 212 EVO, but am waiting for all my watercooling parts to arrive :p 
m
l
June 15, 2012 2:17:48 PM

I see you are running with a Cooler Master 690 II. I am considering the HAF X myself; is there anything better for air-cooled systems?
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
June 15, 2012 2:26:54 PM

bw85 said:
I see you are running with a Cooler Master 690 II. I am considering the HAF X myself; is there anything better for air-cooled systems?

Well of course there is, well there always is something better :fou:  However, the HAF-X isn't called "high airflow" for nothing! It's great for watercooling AND aircooling!!
m
l
June 15, 2012 2:39:04 PM

Lol, truth there, good sir! It is hard for me to really imagine how large this case is. I know I probably won't be setting it on any desk.

Do fan CPU coolers have anything to do with keeping the whole case any cooler, or just the CPU?
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
June 15, 2012 5:59:22 PM

bw85 said:

Do fan CPU coolers have anything to do with keeping the whole case any cooler, or just the CPU?

Not really, but thats what case fans are for. I've seen the HAF-X many times in stores, believe me it comes with a TON of case fans!
m
l
June 15, 2012 6:12:05 PM

What kind of store did you see it in?! I'd love to see this thing before I purchase it.
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
June 15, 2012 6:26:56 PM

bw85 said:
What kind of store did you see it in?! I'd love to see this thing before I purchase it.

Frys and Microcenter ;) 
m
l
June 15, 2012 6:47:07 PM

We don't have either of those in my neck of the woods... It'd be nice if some of the electronic chains had computer towers. I have a feeling that whatever case I decide will surprise me in one way or the other once I get it.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
June 15, 2012 9:15:26 PM

so is it air or (real)water?
m
l
!