Sign in with
Your question

Take the plunge?

Last response: in Storage
November 22, 2011 4:31:09 PM

Hi all,

I am thinking of purchasing a nice SSD for my computer instead of upgrading my video card at the moment and was wondering if the Crucial M4 256GB drive would a nice match for my system.

eVGA X58
i7-920
12GB G.SKILL
eVGA GTX 275
WD 500 & WD 640GB HDD's
Windows 7 x64

I have decided to wait for Kepler to purchase a new graphics card and I think a nice SSD would be a better upgrade at the moment because my GTX 275 can handle Skyrim just fine.

The price isn't what's giving me worry, it's the possible issues involved in upgrading to a SSD. I have read plenty of reviews and I am savvy enough to troubleshoot if I run into any issues but I wanted some advice from the community on this specific SSD.

Thanks.

More about : plunge

a c 260 G Storage
November 22, 2011 5:46:42 PM

Yes it will be a great upgrade.
November 22, 2011 7:40:58 PM

I'm in the same situation. The Sandforce SSDs have had their share of problems it seems. OCZ's new firmware has seemed to fix all of these issues. I am likely taking the plunge around January :p 
Related resources
November 22, 2011 7:57:06 PM

Your drive is not a sandforce, so it is likely to have fewer problems.
However, there are some possible problem:

1. Can you afford a 256gb SSD for real???????? Spend less money and save for retirement :)  !
2. Do you have a SATA III motherboard and SATA III cables?
3. Do you have a 3.5 to 2.5 in bay adapter or a 2.5 in bay for the SSD?

If you answered yes to all three, you are set.

Crucial m4's have good great performance and reliability.
And, based on the specs, the m4 might have the same controller as the intel 510 series SSD.

Hope this helped!
November 22, 2011 8:53:47 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I can afford it for real, I budgeted out 400 dollars for a computer upgrade this year.

I have a SATA II motherboard but I've read that there is little real world difference between SATA II and III. There is a larger gap between the two in synthetic benchmarks. Correct me if I am wrong.

I am planning to purchase an adapter or see if I can fabricate something to make it fit in one of the HDD enclosures in my CM Cosmos 1000.

I am pretty sure I want a Crucial M4; the 512GB drive is too expensive and the 128GB drive is not enough space for my needs.
!