pisaia

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Hi,

I'm about to do my first CPU install which I intend to overclock. I have got an Intel i5 750, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus and Arctic Silver 5. I've read many conflicting reports on what to do/not to do when using thermal paste. Could someone confirm is this plan of action would work?

Add the CPU onto the motherboard
Use a credit card to wipe the thermal tape found on the Cooler Master Hyper 212, then use 98% alcohol to get rid of the left over bits
Add a pea size amount of the Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound onto the heatsink and rub in with a plastic glove to cover
Attach heatsink to CPU and follow the rest of the instructions

Many Thanks

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
You absolutely want to remove the thermal compound from the Heatsink. You are replacing it with the AS5 and you REALLY don't want both on there. As far as applying the AS5, there are several acceptable ways to apply it, such as the X pattern mentioned above, but in my experience I end up with too much when I do that. the pea sized dot in the middle of the CPU (mentioned in your post) has worked great for me in the past, and you really don't even need to spread it with a glove. All you need to do is drop on the pea sized drop in the center, and then attach the heatsink- if you are careful to press it evenly and make sure it has enough pressure, it should spread the thermal compound to where it needs to go (you can wiggle it around a little once its installed to make sure its properly covered).

dfusco

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
The Hyper 212+ is a direct contact heatpipe cooler. You will need to put a thin line of paste between each of the pipes. I pea sized blob will not spread enough with this type of cooler.

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
+1 to dfusco.

And just so you know, I'm also using a Hyper 212 Plus. I used a fair amount of thermal compound to get the space in between the heatpipes filled with TIM. Free space doesn't conduct heat so well. :(

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I'm using the Xigmatec HDT-S1283 which is also Heatpipe-direct-touch, and my AS5 spread just fine using a pea sized blob. I guess it comes down to preference and what you feel works best.

pisaia

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Many thanks for your help so far. I've just taken the 212 out of the box and removed the"Remove before use" label and there doesn't seem to be any insulation tape on the heatsink even though the instructions indicate there is? Can anyone who has a 212 confirm if I can add the thermal paste, or is there something to clean which I can't see :eek: