Manli HD 4890

JamesHitchcock

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Hello all.

While my 9800GTX was put in for claims I decided to try my luck again with ATI. The shop produced a nice looking Manli HD 4890 in a nice/glossy black box. Price was about 230 bucks. The card itself looked nothing like what i see online. thin copper plate over the GPU that extend into 4 heat pipes which coil back into a slab/heat sink elevated about a quarter inch from the card. Two fans mounted above the heat sink. Single 6 pin connector from power source whereas my nvidia required 2.

Anyways. Installation on a clean Win 7 no problems. Plays Dragon Age, Resident Evil 5 no problems. But with COD Modern Warfare 2, I can play for about 10-15 minutes before I get a hang. I cant get the exact tempertature at hang time but its probably 67-68C. For the other games temp stays between 60-65C.

Overall, I am pleased with the performance of the ATI. Better than the 9800GTX, but the hangs have gotta go. My question is do you think this is a heat related problem or something else? Should the card be hanging at 67-68C to begin with? Or did I get a lemon?

Note that while the retail box was cool - the card obviously did not fit into it properly. There were no manuals, no cables, nothing. Except the driver disc which contained ATI's drivers. The manli website does not even mention its ATI products.
So needless to say this will be my LAST Manli purchase. I wonder why ATI licenses their GPUs to obviously irresponsible manufacturers? Sure they get the money upfront but i think the damage to their reputation (ATI) goes much further. When i think of these manufacturers i cant help but think of the laced milk, lead paint, etc etc scandals and other rip offs the chinese always try to get away with.

Thanks for you help and patience during my rant!
James

JamesHitchcock

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
:lol: Good one. Good advice.

But I'm still out 200+ bucks! I took the card back to the shop and told them "I dont have a problem paying the money, but I expect that it should work according to its price tag".

I suspect they will get back to me in a day or two with some lame excuse, so I'll need as much info as possible to combat them... I am in Thailand - there's no such thing as a refund, trade up or trade down.

James