Solved

Odd boot problem or not?

Hello. I assembled a system over the summer with the following components:

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM (boot drive)
2 EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card in SLI
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM which I have since upgraded to 7 64-bit Ultimate
LG Black 6X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 6X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner Super Multi Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive Model GGW-H20L
2 Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - in RAID 0 for data, etc
SILVERSTONE FT01-BW Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Uni-body Computer Case
CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
LITE-ON Black 4X BD-ROM 12X DVD-ROM 32X CD-ROM SATA Internal 4X Blu-ray DVD ROM Model DH-4O1S-08
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 (D0 stepping)
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Prolimatech Megahalems Intel CPU Heatsink (LGA 775 / 1366)
OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1866C9LV6GK
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series 70SB088600007 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express Interface Sound Card
Alphacool LCD display with an internal USB connection (don't recall the model number)

The system seems to run fine, but the one odd thing it does is this: when I first power on the system, the MB lights turn on, the fans turn on, then a split second later, it seems to turn off, and then it starts again and everything boots normally.

Is this a problem I should be concerned about or not?

I believe I have the F8 version of the BIOS. I did run easy tune to bump up the speed of the system.

Thanks for any advice you might have.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about boot problem
  1. My first thought is power supply but you do have a pretty beefy unit listed there. It could be a defect in the power supply stopping it from switching to full power right away (slow ramp up to full power).
  2. EAsy tune..This would be software overclocking tool..right?
    I never ever use software to overclock pc..pure crap IMO.do it in the bios only.
    I bet thats what that 2nd boot up is..easy tune kicking in.
  3. I sent email to Corsair, but so far have not heard anything back.

Lumpy, you are correct, it is software-based overclocking. However, this start/ stop/ start seems to happen even before POST. I suppose uninstalling it would determine whether it's causing a problem or not. I'm not very good at overclocking by hand...
  4. Best answer
    zougou said:

The system seems to run fine, but the one odd thing it does is this: when I first power on the system, the MB lights turn on, the fans turn on, then a split second later, it seems to turn off, and then it starts again and everything boots normally.

Based on a sample of 5 Gigabyte motherboards (a G41, a P35, two P45's, and an X58), they all seem to do that. Don't worry.

I will recommend that you go into the PC Health BIOS tab and set the CPU fan warning to [ENABLED] and set the CPU thermal alarm to 70 C.
  5. jsc said:
    Based on a sample of 5 Gigabyte motherboards (a G41, a P35, two P45's, and an X58), they all seem to do that. Don't worry.

I will recommend that you go into the PC Health BIOS tab and set the CPU fan warning to [ENABLED] and set the CPU thermal alarm to 70 C.

Many thanks! I can stop worrying.

It is irritating that the only way to get into the BIOS is to plug in a PS/2 keyboard... Ah, well!
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems