Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Bad CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
February 23, 2010 9:49:47 PM

Alright so I set up my new build and I wanted to make sure all the hardware worked properly. So after I got Win7 up and running I started a Prime95 torture test. Everything runs fine at first, but the CPU temps are all at 95-99 C.(I'm using intel's stock cooler)
After running for around 5 minuets one of the cores gets has an error and stops the test for that core.
So I'm wondering if this is a sign of a bad CPU or cooler or something else. Any ideas?

More about : bad cpu

a c 131 à CPUs
February 23, 2010 10:02:19 PM

Were you overclocking?

And 95-99 is past the thermal limit of any CPU. I certainly hope you didn't damage it. From those temperatures, it sounds like you are running it without thermal compound and without a fan.

Anyway, it would also help very much if you would share the details of your computer system with us.
m
l
February 23, 2010 10:05:45 PM

No I wasn't overclocking.

It's an i5 750, and I put the stock cooler on it(it had the thermal paste applied to it already).
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 23, 2010 10:12:33 PM

use occt torture test it will give you a feed back report and tell you if a core is bad. I used it and ended up RMAing my processor because it found a bad core! got my new one and no problems since!!!

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

if it makes it 2hrs with occt without a report. chances are your processor is fine. if it makes a report than it will tell you what core failed.. (time to Rma)
February 23, 2010 10:20:47 PM

It failed within 10 secs... I guess it's time to RMA
m
l
February 23, 2010 10:21:39 PM

lol id say so... what core was it?
m
l
February 23, 2010 10:25:10 PM

Actually it only said CPU too hot, not that one of the cores failed. So does that mean something's wrong with the fan?
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
February 23, 2010 11:08:12 PM

It could mean you didn't secure the pins properly on the heatsink. If there was something wrong with the fan you would get an error on bootup or, well open the case and look to see if it is spinning
m
l
February 23, 2010 11:19:01 PM

It definitely was spinning. I took the fan off to see how much grease was on there and it seems that the pre applied grease didn't cover the entire cpu...
m
l
February 23, 2010 11:24:32 PM

buy some arctic silver and apply a even amount (dont add to much ) but be sure to cover all spots on the cpu you dont want any metal on metal contact!
m
l
February 23, 2010 11:26:45 PM

when you do apply the arctic silver be sure the heatsink sits firmly on the cpu and the pins are secure you dont want it to be loose.. if and when you do this run occt again and if you get the same error then its just the processor creating to much heat. at that point RMA.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
February 23, 2010 11:51:25 PM

darkjuggalo2000 said:
buy some arctic silver and apply a even amount (dont add to much ) but be sure to cover all spots on the cpu you dont want any metal on metal contact!

You are mistaken.

You want a thin layer. The point of the thermal compound is to avoid metal-air-metal contact which is inevitable without it since metal is uneven (ie not flat) at a magnified level. You want to apply enough thermal compound to fill any of these holes on the entire CPU. Don't overdo it. In an ideal world, if metal could be machined so there were no spaces, metal on metal contact would be preferable
m
l
February 23, 2010 11:54:58 PM

hmmm. well i may be mistaken on the purpose but the teqnique i have down i did say do not put to much! and i have never had an over heating issue.
m
l
February 24, 2010 7:01:58 PM

Well I just reseated the fan and lo and behold the temps were MUCH lower, but the 3rd core is bad according to the occt torture test. So RMA time.
m
l
February 24, 2010 7:17:13 PM

Black Hole said:
Well I just reseated the fan and lo and behold the temps were MUCH lower, but the 3rd core is bad according to the occt torture test. So RMA time.

so two problems lol.... it happens(and it sucks being without a computer for a week!)
m
l
March 5, 2010 10:35:23 PM

Update:

Well I got the new CPU today and popped it in, and now when I try that OCCT test all the temps get up to the low/mid 70's. I'm guessing that this shouldn't be happening since it's thermal limit is 72 C. Is this because I'm using the stock cooler?

Edit: The CPU idles at around 45-50 C.
m
l
March 6, 2010 11:20:15 PM

did you secure the stock heat sink tight enough to the processor?
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 7, 2010 12:07:10 AM

If you went from one bad core to another bad core after reseating the CPU HSF, you probably reseated the heat sink incorrectly.

Unless OCT is given you a message that specifically stats the 3rd core is bad.
m
l
March 7, 2010 6:00:09 PM

Actually I found out that it was getting that hot because I had the case open and the air flow wasn't optimal. Now with the case closed I get up to 68c with the stress test going. So I was able to complete the test with out any errors. Thanks for the help all! =]
m
l
March 7, 2010 6:01:10 PM

Best answer selected by Black Hole.
m
l
!