Black Hole

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Alright so I set up my new build and I wanted to make sure all the hardware worked properly. So after I got Win7 up and running I started a Prime95 torture test. Everything runs fine at first, but the CPU temps are all at 95-99 C.(I'm using intel's stock cooler)
After running for around 5 minuets one of the cores gets has an error and stops the test for that core.
So I'm wondering if this is a sign of a bad CPU or cooler or something else. Any ideas?

Were you overclocking?

And 95-99 is past the thermal limit of any CPU. I certainly hope you didn't damage it. From those temperatures, it sounds like you are running it without thermal compound and without a fan.

Anyway, it would also help very much if you would share the details of your computer system with us.

darkjuggalo2000

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
use occt torture test it will give you a feed back report and tell you if a core is bad. I used it and ended up RMAing my processor because it found a bad core! got my new one and no problems since!!!

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

if it makes it 2hrs with occt without a report. chances are your processor is fine. if it makes a report than it will tell you what core failed.. (time to Rma)

Solution

darkjuggalo2000

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
when you do apply the arctic silver be sure the heatsink sits firmly on the cpu and the pins are secure you dont want it to be loose.. if and when you do this run occt again and if you get the same error then its just the processor creating to much heat. at that point RMA.

You are mistaken.

You want a thin layer. The point of the thermal compound is to avoid metal-air-metal contact which is inevitable without it since metal is uneven (ie not flat) at a magnified level. You want to apply enough thermal compound to fill any of these holes on the entire CPU. Don't overdo it. In an ideal world, if metal could be machined so there were no spaces, metal on metal contact would be preferable

darkjuggalo2000

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

so two problems lol.... it happens(and it sucks being without a computer for a week!)

Black Hole

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Update:

Well I got the new CPU today and popped it in, and now when I try that OCCT test all the temps get up to the low/mid 70's. I'm guessing that this shouldn't be happening since it's thermal limit is 72 C. Is this because I'm using the stock cooler?

Edit: The CPU idles at around 45-50 C.

Black Hole

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Actually I found out that it was getting that hot because I had the case open and the air flow wasn't optimal. Now with the case closed I get up to 68c with the stress test going. So I was able to complete the test with out any errors. Thanks for the help all! =]