Sign in with
Your question

I think my motherboard is dieing but im not sure. Need some feedback

Last response: in Systems
December 15, 2009 5:13:24 PM

Here are the specs on my rig. I built this rig back in July 2008 and it has been running solid until recently.

Antec 850w Power supply
Asus Striker II Formula 780i Mother Board
2 x 2gig Corsair Dominator DDR 2 1066
Intel E8400 Cpu running at 3.8ghz
2 x XFX Geforce 8800 gts 512mb in SLI
3 x Seagate Barracuda sata hard drives. In a raid 0 configuration

Recently I had a problem where the rig would just display no signal on my monitor and the lcd poster on the board would give a error message. I was able to solve this by going to a single video card configuration. I tested both video cards in the lower PCI-E slot and both would boot and work properly. For what ever reason if I go back to a SLI setup it will not boot and displays no signal. I dropped my over clock and set the bios up to defaults with raid enabled. This seemed to work for a few days.
Now I am finding that the pc hangs when booting up. If I open it up and reseat the ram and clear the bios I can usually get it to boot. However I have been having to this more and more often. Just before posting this I got the pc to boot into windows 7 where it hung and the screen just went black. Instead of just opening it up and fumbling around again I figured I better get some advice.

My first thoughts were the motherboard must be on its way out. I am now wondering though if it could be something else. Before I go out and buy a motherboard id like to get some feedback on what it could be. The lcd poster on the board flashes a quick error msg after detecting ide now but usually boots up just fine. I have checked all connections everything seems ok I am totally baffled at what it could be.

Does anyone have any ideas for me here? I just want to get it working normally again. Im just not 100% sure buying a new mother board is the solution.
December 15, 2009 5:20:08 PM

This, to me, sounds like a PSU problem, though i am not entirely sure.

You said that the SLI config gave you issues, but a single card config was fine (on the bottom PCI-E slot). Did you try the top PCI-E slot with a single card config?

It is possible that the PSU is causing the system to trhottle down and this may be a direct result of the issues you're having.
m
l
December 15, 2009 5:22:32 PM

I thought about that to but using a single card in the top slot will give me a no display. Its as if that top slot just died...
m
l
Related resources
December 15, 2009 5:34:21 PM

Alright I take that back. I just dropped the card into the top slot and it worked gave me a display. But the pc is still just hanging on detecting array. Going to go fiddle around a bit more and see if I can get it to boot up and stay up for the rest of the day. Ugh I don't understand what went wrong I haven't changed anything in a year and all the sudden im riddled with problems.
m
l
December 15, 2009 5:45:35 PM

Last reply for a while sorry. I just tried to get it to boot with a sli configuration with no luck. I went back to a single card and it gave me a display but still hung when detecting array. I cleared the cmos and loaded my overclocked bios profile after reseating the single card and ram. It booted into windows... It seems like its totally random just reseating a few things or clearing the cmos can get it to boot. But how long itll stay running or if it will boot again next time is anyone's guess. I know something needs to be replaced just can't figure out what in the world it can be. :cry: 
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
December 16, 2009 2:59:27 PM

Find a single drive, put it in, and reinstall the OS. Then see what happens.
m
l
August 3, 2013 12:09:21 AM

I thought my xfx 780i motherboard was dead... press firmly down on the 24 pin power connection while turning it on. It should come back to life, this was what helped my computer come back to life. As ridiculous as this sounds, it worked on this motherboard. You only need to do this once.. rest of the time it will be ok ( normal power on/off button switch)
m
l
August 3, 2013 12:09:22 AM

I thought my xfx 780i motherboard was dead... press firmly down on the 24 pin power connection while turning it on. It should come back to life, this was what helped my computer come back to life. As ridiculous as this sounds, it worked on this motherboard. You only need to do this once.. rest of the time it will be ok ( normal power on/off button switch)
m
l
!