Sign in with
Your question

Reusing hard drive from old build into new build?

Last response: in Storage
November 22, 2011 10:27:51 PM

I have a hdd with vista and all my programs installed on it, if i put it with my new components and everything else will it work or will i have to reinstall windows?
a c 82 G Storage
November 23, 2011 1:10:38 AM

It depends on what the old and the new builds are. If they both have an Intel chipset, then it should work.
m
l
November 24, 2011 1:51:38 AM

Um my old system was a cd2 and a newer system im going to build is an i5-2500k system, any suggestions?
m
l
Related resources
November 24, 2011 2:03:08 AM

I think if you change the motherboard you'd be better off reinstalling windows. Less hassle than troubleshooting each error.
At first it might run but there's high possibility something will go wrong later.
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
November 24, 2011 2:05:01 AM

amuffin said:
Um my old system was a cd2 and a newer system im going to build is an i5-2500k system, any suggestions?

What motherboards? Are both based on an Intel chipset? If so, then you shouldn't have problems.
m
l
November 24, 2011 2:15:39 AM

GhislainG said:
What motherboards? Are both based on an Intel chipset? If so, then you shouldn't have problems.

So what do i do about windows and all my programs? as said before I already have windows vista installed...........
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
November 24, 2011 2:35:59 AM

You have nothing to do as long as Vista is not a Dell, HP or OEM version that can only be registered with the original system. Unfortunately you don't provide info about the old and the new motherboards or systems.

I've done that several times without problems (including Windows Server 2008). However Kensingtron is correct. You may have to install drivers for the Ethernet controller, sound controller, etc. You won't have to reinstall the OS.

I presume that you already have a complete backup just in case something goes wrong.
m
l
a c 117 G Storage
November 24, 2011 3:57:49 AM

I oft have systems arrive where exactly that has been done ..... works for a while but is generally buggy until finally it arrives at my house and I'm asked to fix. It's real easy fix if ya have a partitioned HD with only the OS on C:\

That way, I can wipe the drive and reinstall Windows quickly and then just reinstall those programs that need registry entries over themselves which maintains all customization.
m
l
November 24, 2011 5:02:28 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
I oft have systems arrive where exactly that has been done ..... works for a while but is generally buggy until finally it arrives at my house and I'm asked to fix. It's real easy fix if ya have a partitioned HD with only the OS on C:\

That way, I can wipe the drive and reinstall Windows quickly and then just reinstall those programs that need registry entries over themselves which maintains all customization.

How would i do the patritioning and other stuff?
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
November 24, 2011 11:04:09 AM

If I were you, I wouldn't try to partition the hard disk. Perform a full backup and then move it to the new system. It's that simple.

I had to reinstall a few systems, but moving the hard disk to a new system wasn't the reason. They were used by people who basically installed everything they could find on the Internet which eventually creates a real mess. If you've installed every tool, anti-virus, registry cleaner and game that you could find, then reinstall from fresh.

I don't like partitioning hard disks as it doesn't necessarily help when performing backups. I simply restore the system when something goes wrong; with eSATA and USB 3.0 external drives, it's much faster that reinstalling.
m
l
!