Could I go Higher On the overclock and am i doing everything correctly

ClaytonGriffith

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I have a e6420 2.1ghz Overclocked to 3.2.
This is a Cpu-z Valadator Link that shows it running stable. I have used Prime 95 Ran small ffs for 15 mins. And orthos for about the same time. Seemed very stable. Was thinking of going higher. Right now the idle Temp is 31/33 and During Stress Testing max was at 55/54. If you need anymore info on my system just ask. I love this Forum just found it you guys rock. Brand New to overclocking. Like 1 week. Thanks for any input and advice. or just comments.

Thanks Guys :)

CPU-Z LINK
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2405953

D

Deleted member 217926

Welcome to the forums. :hello:

You do have aftermarket cooling I assume?

You are probably getting close to the limit for that chip. A 1.1Ghz overclock is quite good for a Core2 chip. You may very well get 3.4Ghz or a little better out of it though. Those chips were the first real good overclockers. That chip has an 8x multiplier making it excellent for overclocking too. Keep increasing the FSB and voltage untill you either get too hot or if will not boot anymore then back it off untill it's stable.

You need to run Prime 95 for more like 8 to 10 hours to be sure it's stable.

Here is a good article that may help.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-e6420_11.html

ClaytonGriffith

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Well thank you as well. With reading the article it seems i do have a good cpu to try overclock. The article has theirs up to 3.7 with 1.6cv. I don't see me raising it that much. It talked about raising my Bus Speed to around 500 mhz i have mine at 400mhz and can't really get to edit that in my bios. I have the board mentioned in the article ASUS P5N-E SLI. The only way i can actually get the clock to raise is like you said is raise my FSB with the voltage little by little. I don't know if that is the only way to do it with my bios or if that is how you do all overclocks. Also i have aftermarket cooling. Well at least i think it is.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118003

And for the power Supply i have

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103941

Well Thanks Again anort3 and i am gonna keep pushing. If i was looking for a minimal testing range for my cpu 8-10 hours seems like a long time. Also which test should i be using under prime 95 short ffs right.

Ohh yeah one more thing. I read somewhere the max temp for my cpu under load is 65c does that sound right. I don't plan on comming close like i said right now it is 55.

Thanks again

D

Deleted member 217926

BIOS overclocking is always best. You are doing everything correctly.

Yes that's aftermarket ( not stock ) cooling.

Do you have your RAM at a 1:1 ratio wth the FSB? Core2 chips like this configuration best. Since you have 4-4-4-12 timed RAM I assume it's 2.1v? This may be stopping you from going past 400 FSB. You can try changing the RAM to 5-5-5-15 and I would bet that would get you to 450FSB by allowing the RAM to run at 900Mhz. That is assuming your CPU can take it.

8 to 10 hours of Prime 95 is necessary to assure stability. Especially with an over 1Ghz overclock. That's not a small 200 or 300Mhz bump.

ClaytonGriffith

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I might try to push to 3.4. I find this 3.2 setting really good. Like you said it is a big bump and i should be completely satisfied. But i guess it is the occ'er in me that wants to keep going. I have been raising my vcore up to get stability outta the prime 95 tests. It was factory at 1.35. I am now up to 1.392. I tried to raise my FSB some more to get to the 3.4 which i consider the highest i will ever try to go. "well maybe." I just hope raising my Vcore voltage isn't that bad of a thing after 1 hour of small ffs and mixed testing it was stable. I will go more when i feel that i am completely satisfied. Raising my FSB resulted in failur in less then a min. But i lost the 1:1 ratio. So raising my timming and getting to 900mhz will get better results. Plus some research on the board has reviled possible holes. So i don't know if the board should be pushed much more ASUS P5N-E SLI. Also as i tried to raise the Vcore more then this to get the tests to work i had a complete freeze of windows. No blue screen just freeze.

Well Anort thanks for the help and i might keep pushing as much as my board will allow it. I read on the CPU's specs that the max vcor is 1.5v i don't ever plan on comming close to that but just asking to make sure that raising my vcor is a good thing to do when occ'ing

Link again to my 1 hour stable prime small ffs/mix test
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2406758

Also what tests should i be doing specifically to test stability. When i decide to go for the 8-10 hour test. Mix....small ffs....Large ffs. Read some forums that sugges Mix for testing the IBT 50 cycles for heat testing

Thanks Again

Clayton

ClaytonGriffith

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Also my Ram was at 1.92v i raised that a bit with the new 1650 900mhz try. as far as the 4-4-4-12 timing i thought that it was faster then a 555-15 setup or do you have to increase with the 900mhz increase. Thanks testing it now. Well get back

D

Deleted member 217926

Lower RAM timings are faster but you may have to loosen them a bit to get the faster speed. The faster speed will offset the higher timings as well.

You are fine with CPU voltage right now. Just keep it below 1.5v and you will be fine.

I would run the blend test if you go over 400FSB becausethen the RAM will be overclocked too. Small FFTs test mostly the processor. If you stay at 400FSB run that one. IBT is also useful if you just want to be sure it's 100% stable run it too.

ClaytonGriffith

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Well i just Reset everything back to my Original OC.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2406758

I think the board is holding me back.

But I guess my finale ? is upping my vcor is safe and I will be preforming the 8-10 hour test tonight. And what specific test should i be running. I am dissapointed a little but i think with the board I have this is about the max i can go. I tried the 1650 again. with the 555-15 timming and 900mhz. Failed and when i try to up the vcor it eventually freezes completly.

Thanks Anort for your help. I may try upping later just get discouraged when my windows completly freezes. Please feel free to answer or comment on my previous ?'s Any and all help is welcome.

Thanks again

Clayton

D

Deleted member 217926

If you are completely stable at 3.2Ghz then keep it there. A 1.1Ghz overclock is pretty sweet for a budget processor.

ClaytonGriffith

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I think I will. I am going to mess with occ'ing my GPU now. This stuff is so awsome. Now i know how mechanics must feel like. Thanks again anort for all the help. Well run the test over night. Will do a mixed for at least 8 hours. And if that is stable i will be set might leave ibt running if i go do something some day. But either way my GPU is the Geforce 8800 GT right now at 640/950. Need to look up the safe temps to work with on that one. Next project yay

Thanks

Clayton