Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Question on ssd firmware update before installing OS

Last response: in Storage
November 22, 2011 10:57:10 PM

Hello Community!

I just purchased a OCZ Agility 3 and I would like to update the firmware before I install my OS. I purchased this ssd because my current hhd failed. So I can't use it to download the firmware. Would it be best to update the ssd by sata to esata from my laptop?If so, do I just need the sata to esata cable? or buy an enclosure and go the usb 2.0 route?
November 22, 2011 11:12:10 PM

or you could put the OCZ Agility 3 into your current computer (the one with the bad hdd) and use a linux boot CD and boot into something like knoppix or ubuntu (do not have to install it) and use OCZ's Linux-based Firmware Updater and update the firmware from a linux desktop, then just shut down, and install your OS
m
l
November 22, 2011 11:23:19 PM

Excuse my naivety, but I haven't really used linux before and I dont know where I could grab a boot cd. I'll definitely consider it if its my last means or if its the best way in terms of time and hardware protection.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 22, 2011 11:37:16 PM

Well i know that it would have to be SATA< because in order to update this drive, it has to be a non primary drive on a sata port, with AHCI enabled .. as it says in the guide

http://www.ocztechnology.com/files/ssd_tools/OCZ_Toolbo...

they actually give you a utility to select 'USB upgrade' .. if u got a USB flash drive, like a sandisk cruzer, u could use that to boot from into linux and follow their instructions

November 22, 2011 11:38:45 PM

Well they talk about the tools anyway, they dont actually include them
m
l
November 22, 2011 11:46:36 PM

kd0frg said:
Well they talk about the tools anyway, they dont actually include them

Thanks for the sources! kd0frg!
m
l
November 22, 2011 11:47:21 PM

I appreciate you spending your time to help me look for the information.
m
l
November 22, 2011 11:49:52 PM

Best answer selected by pth6781.
m
l
!