Sign in with
Your question

I5-2500K OCed; Are My Numbers Reasonable?

Last response: in Overclocking
June 15, 2012 4:00:33 AM

This is my first time overclocking and I did my homework as best as I could. I have an Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe with an i5-2500k and 32GB of DDR3-1600. I've replaced the stock i5 heat sink with a Hyper 212 Plus using one pulling fan.

I've kept C1E and Speed Step enabled. I've also kept Turbo Boost enabled. Load line calibration is disabled and voltage is in "offset" mode. I haven't fiddled with the BCLK. All I've done is set the multipliers. My multipiers for 1, 2, 3, and 4 cores is 46, 45, 44, and 44 respectively.

After stress testing with Prime95 my highest core temp reached 77C when all four cores were loaded, as reported by Real Temp. My vcore maxed at 1.344V as reported by CPU-Z. Everything was stable after an overnight stress test.

I have a few questions:

-Are those temp and vcore numbers okay? I know Intel lists a tcase of 72C but I figured 77C on a single core at full capacity probably isn't an issue. Is that a bad assumption?

-If I want to keep my voltage variable (what I understand to be "offset" mode), can I play with those numbers to try to bring the voltage down? If I mess with those numbers, is there anything else I need to consider? (other than stability, of course)

-Should I be thinking about overclocking the RAM or GPU?

-My motherboard gives me the option of setting turbo multipliers by "all cores" which allows it to be set by the OS or "per core" which disallows the OS from setting it. I chose the latter. What are the pros and cons of these two options?

-Is there any way for me to verify I'm getting 4.6Ghz when a single core is loaded?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 15, 2012 5:52:13 PM

The temps are OK, not outstanding but certainly acceptible.

If you play with the voltage you may find a good one, but it is trial & error.

OC'ing the RAM is ify: as SB processors optimize RAM speed sutomatically, I think that you have little to gain from RAM OC'ing. If you have RAM that will do 2133 than by all means do it, but don't try to IOC RAM over OEM spec.

OC'ing the GPU is worthwhilee for gamers and those who use GPU for computational tasks. OC'ing the GPU is a seperate matter and and good option to optimize your rig.

I can't answer your question about all or single core OC'ing, as I don't know. Same for your Q regarding the verification past saying run CPU-Z. It verifies your speed.
m
l
!