graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I built this computer, modest, but cheaper than buying one. :

Intel Pentium D 830, Dual-core, 3.0GHZ (runs on 130W, I think)
Mobo XFX MG-63MI-7109
NVIDIA nForce 630i/7100 onboard Video, audio
3 GB PC5400 DDR2
Thermaltake TR2 W0070 430W PSU
MicroATX case
Case fan diagonally below PSU
Don't overclock or game.

I know the Pentium D runs hot, but I got bad advice, or rather not enough advice. The stock HSF is garbage, and the plastic pins drove me nuts, so I'm looking for a new HSF. However, I am unemployed, with everything that goes with that.

What are some economical but good quality HSF's that I might use with this? I know Zalman makes theirs with screws, not plastic pins.

And free shipping wouldn't make me too sad, either.:lol: I have to consider that in the total

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
This is one HOT CPU, Intel's Edsel, running at 122-124 F with Arctic Silver 5. And that's with light CPU usage. Do you think that one's powerful enough? And i'm not familiar with Rosewill. On a budget, but I keep my computers 6-7 years. How do you feel about the longevity of a Rosewill?

Also, anything with screws?

50C isn't all that bad although it still is very hot. What do you get on load?
Do I think what i powerful enough?
I don't know much about Rosewill but I wouldn't worry too much about longevity. Other than the fan, which can be replaced, there isn't much that can render a big chunk of metal useless. If you want a better one you could always look for something like OCZ vendetta 2. appearently a good cooler. Big, but keeps things nice and cool. You could probably find one for $40 after a mail in rebate.

6-7 years is a long time. What do you use your computers for? I assume you've got another 4-5 years for this one right?

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010

powerful enough to cool a 130W CPU

Highest load I've seen, running Acronis True Image, was 135F. Too closelose to the 158 limit. And I often sit here 16-18 hrs/day.

I don't know much about Rosewill but I wouldn't worry too much about longevity. Other than the fan, which can be replaced, [/quotemsg]

Never mind replacing the fan. Don't want a cooked CPU.

[/quotemsg]
there isn't much that can render a big chunk of metal useless. If you want a better one you could always look for something like OCZ vendetta 2. appearently a good cooler. Big, but keeps things nice and cool. You could probably find one for $40 after a mail in rebate.

6-7 years is a long time. What do you use your computers for? I assume you've got another 4-5 years for this one right? [/quotemsg]

Built it a year ago, but I wasn't aware of the CPU heat problem till I put in speedFan and HW Monitor. I do all my own repairs and maintenance, and get lots of mileage from them. And on on my 9th year of XP Pro.

I do email, internet, taxes, Skype, nothing really that's CPU-heavy, except Acronis and Defraggler.

OCZ won't fit below the PSU. Available space 110 MM+ gap, but I like the quiet heat piper. What do you think of this, with the 775 socket adapter?

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/cooling_products/ocz_vendetta_cpu_cooler

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
We're cross-posting. Coolermaster 212 is too big.
CoolerMaster i5 looks good at 92MM, free shipping.

Educate me on CPU coolers--some cooler don't specify which CPU they suit, aside from the socket and size. In that case how can you tell if it's powerful enough? Is it the speed or the amount of air moved? And in the case of heat pipes?

It's the reviews that you find online and the experiences of other. Though most coolers will perform better than stock unless they are cheap like $10.

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Enzo--
If there are intelligent reviews, fine. Not all products online have reviews, and some are written by idiots. Then person X says the products is crap, Y says it's the greatest. I've read enough over the years. That's why I come here and VirtualDr.com for more info.

I wanted something a little more technical, about thermal management and airflow. I know pipe cooling is quieter and more efficient. Why? And in fans of the same size, what would make one more efficient than the other? Speed? And how can I interpret the specs? I know about the decidels. How about the CFM? These things will help me decide among the choices.

Honestly, if size makes a difference and noise makes a difference, I'd try one of the Thermaltake Silent 775 series. They're pretty cheap, they're relatively small, and have no problem keeping a q9550 quad core in the 30s at idle and 51c under heavy load on my machine.

True. But reliable reviews from good sites can tell you more on the practical side of a cooler's performance than anything else. Hardware Canucks has a list of coolers they have tested under the same conditions.

Heatpipes will move the heat quicker than simply metal. I forget what's inside them. The fan is the only thing that makes noise so it would be quieter because they paired it with a quieter fan. The better the heatsink the less effective the fan has to be so the quieter it can be. Honestly don't worry about the efficiency of a fan. They use too little electricity for it to make a difference. Worry more about effectiveness. A faster fan will move more air than a slower one at the same size. But to move the same amount of air, a larger fan does not need to spin as fast. Larger fans are typically quieter mainly for that reason. CFM is how much air the fan will move. Per minute I believe. I'm not too sure on the units. Other than that, copper is more effective at moving heat than aluminum. You would be hard pressed to find a completely copper heatsink. Another important factor that is no listed in the specs is the finish on the bottom of the heatsink. The smoother and flatter, the better because it will have better contact with the CPU. Metal on metal is more effective than thermal compound so the more metal you have touching through, the better. But you do not want air or nothing. Hence the thermal compound.

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I have several to choose from and feel more knowledgeable on the subject. Or i might take daship's advice. I also need a new PSU for my other computer this week, and money is an issue.

I thank all of you. :D