Possible power supply problem?

theburn

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008
Hello, I recently upgraded to an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 from an E6600 and I have been experiencing various problems since. Here is my set up...I will explain the problems following...

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W Power Supply
ABIT AW9D-MAX LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard Bios 17 (I believe)
WD Raptor 150GB
Kingston HyperX 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 1GB

After making the upgrade to the E8400 I have had problems booting to bios on several occasions. Most of the time the bios settings won't recognize the bus speed at 340 mhz (x9) and will set it at 133 mhz. When I change it back to the default, everything runs smoothly. However, recently, when I run something demanding, like a game, my system crashes like it has been unplugged from the wall. After several attempts to reboot, my system would not get to the bios to even begin starting windows. I have been stable now with the bus speed set at 133 mhz. My idle temps (running several instances of mozilla, CPU-Z and SpeedFan) for both bus speeds of 340 mhz and 133 mhz have been 37C. I will test using Prime95 and see what the temps go to then and post the results.

Does this sound like a power supply issue? I am banging my head trying to figure it out.

It does sound like a power supply problem but that would not make sense since that power supply is good quality and more than enough power for your computer. Sorry to just be stating the obvious. I'll let you know if anything comes to mind that could be the problem.

theburn

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008
Right, I am confused as to what the problem can be. The video card is working well, I tested it in a friends computer...the only think I haven't tested is the memory because I am not sure how to do it. Also, I am not sure how motherboard issues would present if my computer functions *some/most* of the time. Am I wrong to think if I have a bad mother board then it wouldn't function at all?

No, the motherboard could still work if it is having problems. I used a motherboard with an 8200m chipset before. Kept crashing with scewed graphics on the screen.

You can test your memory with a program called memtest 86. you download it, burn it to cd then boot from it and run the tests for several hours. If there are no errors the ram is fine. You can do the same thing with prime95 for the stability of your cpu but you can run prime95 in windows. The reason you would test the ram from a boot disk is so that all the ram can be tested rather than everything but that which windows is using.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
I hae me doots as to your psu being the cause as I have the StealthXExtream 600 [OCZ] and Hardware Secrets says that it can output 720w all day long,,you might be entrapped by the 4x1 problem that some mobo's have with 4x1 of ram,you could try making sure that the mobo sees the ram and applies the correct voltage settings,unlikely that Kingston ram is faulty as they test EVERY stick before it is sold,not impossible though,,try 2x1 in different combo's to see if it really is the ram, maybe you would be better off going to 2x2 of ram....:)